Joe-S
Joe-S, Systems Specialist
Experience:  Systems Administrator at Fortune 50 Company
68269981

How do I increase the range on my wireless antenna laptop. I

Customer Question

How do I increase the range on my wireless antenna for my laptop. I have an HP laptop with beats by audio
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to be literally be sitting on the modem for my laptop to receive a signal
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Can you tell me what type of wireless router you have? (you called it a modem)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
xfinity
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

In general, the range of a wireless connection is determined by the power strength of the router and can be impacted by interference by appliances and lighting. Be sure that the router is not stored in a cabinet or structure that has thick walls or is made of metal. Make sure there is no florescent lighting in the immediate area of the router (10 feet). Comcast uses proprietary routers which do not allow for much configuration by the consumer. You may have to contact them to make sure the signal strength is turned up.

Are you experiencing a week signal? or slow internet? You can check signal strength on your laptop by clicking on the icon on the lower right corner of your desktop and then clicking on the wireless network icon. you should see the strength indicated for each available connection. If it is above 2 then you should have adequate connectivity to your router and any latency might be on the internet itself. Any suspected internet issues should be reported to Comcast directly as they can run diagnostics on your service. If you are within 20 feet of your router and the connection is below 2 bars, then I would advise you contact Comcast to have them test your router. it may be defective.

You can also run a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net

or http://speedtest.comcast.net/

Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

I see you have not responded to my answer nor have you rated my service. Did you have other questions in this matter? This question will remain open until you accept my response and rate my service. I want to to ensure you are completely satisfied.