Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trouble shoot, repair, hardware software.
63493917

I want to project my laptop's screen on a TV + on a

Customer Question

I want to project my laptop's screen on a TV + on a screen using a projector. I'm using a splitter to do both. This used to work fine, until one day it wouldn't: It would only project to the TV, not to the screen via the projector. I thought it was a splitter
issue, so I changed the splitter, but nothing changed. I tried with other laptops, same result. And the projector is working fine when I'm not using the splitter. What could the problem be?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your projector?

If you test connecting the projector straight to the laptop (without using the splitter), does it work?

Have you tried with another cable for connecting from projector to laptop?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply!
I don't have the projector's model right now.
As I said, the projector is working fine when I'm not using the splitter.
I tried with other cables, same problem.

Sorry, I missed the part where the projector is working without the splitter.

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7 or 8 or 10?

If you set the display option to show only on the external display (i.e., not duplicate, not showing anything the laptop's screen), does it work on the projector?

If you connect the splitter to the laptop, then connect only the projector to the splitter (don't connect the TV), does the projector work?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have Windows 8.1. We tried on 7 as well.
External only works.
Splitter with only the projector works.

Thank you.

1. Do you mean previously, all the 3 screens showed up at the same time, i.e., the display showed up on laptop's screen, TV's screen, and projector's screen at the same time right?

2. And now, you can make the display to shows up on both TV and projector at the same time when making it not showing up on the laptop's screen right?

3. If you connect the splitter to the laptop, then connect only the projector to the splitter (don't connect the TV), then the display works both on laptop's screen and projector's screen right? Then don't disconnect anything, but connect the TV (connect the TV last) to the splitter, then what happens? Does the TV not show anything? Or does the display switch automatically from projector's screen to TV's screen?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Right
2) Right
3) It switches to the TV

I'm sorry. If you connect a TV and a monitor (instead of the projector), do they work fine?

You've tried with another laptop and another cable, so I think there is something wrong with the projector, even though it works standalone. I don't have any suggestion, so let me open the issue to other experts. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, thank you! That's a good thought, I'll try with something else. Thanks.
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and i think i know what the problem is......the SPLITTER went BAD.

.

They are cheap, and the components that actually do the splitting are VERY VERY cheap.

.

DO NOT USE A SPLITTER...use a SIGNAL REGENRATOR. instead of SPLITTING the signal, a regenrator accpets the signal, THEN MAKES A COPY OR TWO OR THREE, and then sends it on. There is NO dB loss this way, and its more reliable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Quicksilver, thanks for your reply. Well, I tried using another, brand new, expensive splitter - and it didn't work. Do you still think I could use a signal regenerator instead?
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Hello Alain, I noticed that your issue is still outstanding and wanted to offer any additional assistance. Quiksilver may be correct about the splitter. It isn't the optimal way of setting it up but you said that it has worked before. Have you gone into Windows and ensured the signal was being sent to the projector?

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

You can hold the Windows flag key and press "P" to bring up the menu. Select duplicate or extend, whichever you need, and see if it'll show. You can also choose just the projector or the TV and see if you can switch back and forth. This would be helpful to know for testing purposes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Breland, indeed, the signal was being sent - I made sure.
What do you think about the signal repeating idea?
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

It's possible that it could work but my thinking is if you had it working before then it should still be able to work now.

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

And just to clarify, did you test the signal to each device while they were both connected to the splitter?

Alain,

I found this signal amplifier/splitter from Monoprice, and should do the trick.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8154