Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  21 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Hardware/Printer and Network
21913621

I have an Acer E1 522 which allows me to sign in but after a

Customer Question

Hi I have an Acer E1 522 which allows me to sign in but after a few minutes the screen freezes and eventually crashes with "default boot device missing or boot failed"
I purchased a 1TB DRIVE AND CLONING KIT but only twice got to the point where the SW showed me that 5% of sectors had been read and all failef then system crashed with the above message
B4 I take this in for repaif can I get some help?
Thanks
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 1 year ago.

There is a 99% chance that this is hardware. If that is the case, nothing we do here will be able to resolve it. And really, in this case I would hesitate to even attempt troubloeshooting in this type of forum, as each attempted boot may damage things further. Either you have a hugely corrupted hard drive, a power problem, or the hard drive itself has a hardware issue. In each case you do not want to be trying things in order to narrow the problem down. You want to get it into a shop for repair immediately. I am sorry! I wish I had better information for you! But working with it here will just make things worse!