Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

This is not a laptop question, however I bought a Toshiba

Customer Question

this is not a laptop question, however I bought a Toshiba sata hard drive for my pc, I can see it in BIOS, but when I try to install windows after running setup it doesn't find the sata drive. Is there any third party software I need?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. When you boot the PC with this SATA drive in it, what exactly is the error message that you are getting?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,restart your computer.If this screen appears again, follow these steps:Check for virues, there are none as it a fresh install on a newly formatted hard drive.
Technical information:*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789AA98, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back with that information. This happens because of driver issues especially if you installed Windows on that drive while it is attached to another computer.

Now, do you have a CD or DVD installer of your Windows so that you can install it while it is attached to the current system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do have the installation cd's ,I tried doing the install with the hard drive attached to the current system, however when the cd finishes running the setup files, it doesn't find the sata hard drive. This is why i am asking if i need to install driver files for the sata drive.
Please note, I am NOT running raid on this machine just the single hard drive.Thanks
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

So are you saying that, when you attach the drive, the BIOS sees it, and you can boot to the CD installer. Then you run the installation of Windows, but when the installer restarts the computer, the system no longer detects the drive where you install Windows. Is that correct?

Are you installing Windows 7, 8 or 10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't even get to the point of doing a restart, after the cd has loaded all the setup files it would normally ask where you want to install the operating system (correct?) at this point it says windows can't find a hard drive.Hit F3 to restart the computer.I am doing a reinstall of an old system windows server 2003 R2 Standard Edition.I'm pretty sure the problem is the system isn't seeing the sata hard drive.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Please go to your BIOS and check as to what mode is the Hard Disk Drive set to. Is it set to SATA, IDE or AHCI. If it is set to SATA, please set it to AHCI then try the install again.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The BIOS doesn't have AHCI as an option? It's a fairly old motherboard. Any other suggestion apart maybe replacing the system with something more up to date.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

What are your options in the BIOS for your drive? SATA? IDE?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where it says boot order, SATA,SCSI, RAID
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

No, not the boot order setting.

I am referring to the SATA configuration.

Here is a sample image:

http://img-aws.ehowcdn.com/640/cme/photography.prod.demandstudios.com/c97ee279-b851-4907-93cb-8e45d3876392.jpg

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Here is another screen shot:

http://filesxpress.com/d-5573b2da