Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Having a problem with my Dell inspiron laptop. I left the

Customer Question

Having a problem with my Dell inspiron laptop. I left the room and it was fine then came back to find it was stuck in a loop saying that it was "preparing automatic repair" then shutting down and showing that message again. I found the 2000-0123 error when I ran a diagnostic...
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Is this Dell laptop still covered with warranty?

The error code that you got when you ran the diagnostic was a memory error which means that your RAM sticks are bad. Can you open the memory compartment and check how many memory sticks do you have there?
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where the memory compartment is... sorry. And how high is the chance that bad ram sticks are the cause of the loop my pc is on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my pc is a Dell inspiron n5110 if that makes any difference...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. I was referring to the error code you posted in your question. That error code for a Dell laptop indicates a memory fault.

If you only have 1 memory stick, then your computer will never work. A computer cannot work with a bad memory.

If you have 2 memory sticks and only 1 is bad, then you need to remove the bad stick to make the computer work even with a single stick which will cause the computer to be slower.

Here is a video that will show you how to access the memory sticks of your computer. If you can check it for me, please tell me if you have only 1 stick or 2 sticks installed there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0vguckayc

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok there are two of them. How can I tell which of them is bad?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Since you have 2 sticks, please swap the sticks in their original positions then test the computer if the error is gone.

If the problem continues, install only 1 stick in slot A and test. If it works, then it is the good RAM. If not, then install the same stick to Slot B and test again.

Do the same test to the second ram stick.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Even worse the computer is just repeating 2 beeps with a black screen, over and over with every combo. It's worse than before it seems.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. That concludes then that the problem is the memory. Now, our goal is to determine if:

1. The 2 ram sticks are bad
  2. The first RAM (say RAM A) is bad
  3. The second RAM (say RAM B) is bad
  4. The RAM slot 1 is bad (the slot in the motherboard where the ram stick is inserted)
  5. The RAM slot 2 is bad (the slot in the motherboard where the ram stick is inserted)

To determine this, please do the following:

Suppose your 2 RAM sticks are RAM A and B and the RAM Slots are 1 and 2

Insert RAM A to slot 1 alone and then test

Insert RAM A to slot 2 alone and then test

Please tell me your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I tried again and inserted one into the bottom most slot and the pc is back to doing the preparing automatic repair loop, which I guess is slightly better...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So is that the repair loop that will give you the error code 2000-0123 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually wasn't doing it right my first go. Ugh sorry! But both work on their own in either slot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All combos turned out to work...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

When you said both worked on their own in either slot, are you saying that your computer successfully loaded Windows? Or did you get the repair notice again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The repair notice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I can get into from there is bios and to run diagnostics
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to allow the repair to run until it is finished?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep but what happens is it just shows that screen, goes to a diagnosing screen, shuts off for a milisecond and turns right back on to continue the cycle.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

And is it in that diagnostic screen where you get the error 2000-0123 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I quickly Tap f12 and go to the diagnostic screen before it can start doing what it's doing right from boot up. Therefore the only safe place seems to be the diagnostic screen and the bios area
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok. And if you do not press F12 quickly, it will reboot and show the repair again. I believe your hard disk drive and Windows installation is in trouble as well. The repair notice is not pertaining to memory -- it is to repair your Windows installation. But unfortunately, the repair does not continue.

Have you changes any settings in the BIOS that could have caused this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't touched the bios before this event. I mainly just looked through it to see if there was anything that could solve the problem but obviously nothing...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. This scenario is a sign of a failing or bad hard disk drive. Are you hearing any ticking sound in the laptop when you turn it on or when you use it? The ticking sound could be coming from the hard disk drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well if I put my ear up it I can hear a really tiny scratching sound. I assumed that was the hard disk just working though. It's hard to hear over the fan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sound sounds more like a whirring disk or part of the fan than ticking
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

If there are tiny scratching sound, then that could be attributed to a faulty hard disk drive. This kind of sound is similar to putting a DVD with scratches in the DVD drive. When the computer reads it, scratching sounds are developed as the system tries to read the scratchy parts.

A healthy drive is humming (just air sound) in normal operation.

In the diagnostic section in the BIOS, there is a tool to test the memory. But is there a tool there to test your hard drive? This is the only way to conclude if the drive needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll check that.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please visit that diagnostics again in the BIOS then perform an HDD or Hard Disk Drive test if there is, then wait and see the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it seems to be running a test now and hasn't yet checked hard drive 1 or 2 or the memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like it's checking everything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came up with a different code this time 2000-0145
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds great! Please take your time and allow the test to do a hard disk test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's an x beside hard drive 0. Everything else has a check mark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming my hard drive is bad
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information.

Unfortunately, that new error now when you run a test on your hard disk drive, means a Hard Disk Drive Failure. This means that the HDD or disk needs to be replaced.

However, there are things you can do to test further if you want:

1. Turn OFF the computer
  2. Remove the HDD from its case (Please refer to this link below as to how to how to access and remove the HDD)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkoBktE7Q7s
  3. After removing the HDD, please insert it back but do it carefully and gently.
  4. After re-seating the hard disk drive, please test if the hard drive works this time by doing the test again. If you get the same results, it means that the drive is bad and your only option is to have it replaced.

For more information as to the meaning of the error codes that your computer is giving you, please check table in this link:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN115162/

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I'll be sure to do that. If it doesn't work I'll try to get back to you. If this chat ends up kicking me would it be OK if you emailed me? Or is that against policy? In any case my email is***@******.***
Not sure where you're located but it's quarter past 3 in the morning here so I'm going to bed. I'll try to get back to you with results tomorrow. Thanks for your time!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. You can still reply to me here even if you rate my answer already. We can still continue to chat here even after your rating.

And yes, it is against site policy to send emails here so I cannot send you an email.

Just bookmark this page or this chat page so that you can get back to me easily any time. You can also get back to me through the link that you receive through email from JustAnswer.

Thank you.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright. Tomorrow then! Thanks
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Megan,

How is it going? Have you tried the procedures I gave you to test if your hard drive starts to work again?

If the problem still persists even after doing the steps I gave you, then unfortunately, you need to have your hard disk drive replaced.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jess