Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Seeing the message: No bootable device, but I do not have a

Customer Question

Seeing the message: No bootable device, but I do not have a boot disk
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please tell me the exact make and model of your computer?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aspire 5349 series. Model No. ZRL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am still here.

When was the last time that this laptop was still working?

Do you hear any tickling sound when you turn on the laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was working two days ago.
I do not hear a ticking sound
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Please eject the CD/DVD drive if there is any disc in it. If there is no disc on the drive, please restart the computer and then press and keep tapping F8. Then in the boot options that opens, please select the HDD or Hard Disk Drive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The laptop started making a beeping sound after pressing F8. Nothing happened
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Please restart the laptop and when the laptop starts, prss F8 and keep tapping F8 until you see the boot options

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that nothing happens
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

When the laptop restarts, before you see the error, you need to press and keep tapping F8

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Please describe to me what happens when you restart and at which point in time you pressed F8

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As soon as I see the Acer screen, but a black screen appears telling me to insert boot disk, which I don't have
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

That is too late when you are seeing the boot disc error.

Please press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot and then immediately press and keep tapping the F8 key

By "keep tapping", I mean you do not need to press and hold it, just press F8 repeatedly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK finally at boot manager
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do next
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

What are the boot options there? Do you see something that says Hard Disk Drive or HDD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Option 1: network boot: Atheros Boot Agent
Option 2: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GT32N
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Other options? The first option is network boot, the second is boot to DVD drive.

Other options?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other options
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

It appears then that your hard disk drive is dead or faulty causing your system not to show it as an option. When a component like a hard disk drive is faulty, the system cannot detect it.

To verify this, please restart the computer then press F2 to enter the BIOS setup.

Then navigate the menus and locate the Hard Disk Drive section. Is it showing there as "None" or "Not Detected" ?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

When you are in the BIOS screen, the HDD information could be found in the INFORMATION tab where it says "HDD Model Name"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm doing it now
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok...please take your time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is saying none
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do now
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that confirmation.

Unfortunately, this is already a hardware fault and your Hard Disk Drive is already dead or faulty that needs to be replaced. As to the reason why the drive died, it varies. It could be a real hardware failure or wear and tear.

At this point there is nothing that we can do but to send the laptop to an authorized Acer repair center so that the hard disk drive will be replaced and your Windows reloaded.

I believe this is not the kind of answer that you wish to hear and I hate to be the bearer of this information. But it will be unfair to you and unprofessional of me if I will not give you correct assessment on the issue.

At this point you have placed a deposit and I can only get credit for this help if you rate positively (3 to 5 stars/faces). It will be up to you if you want to credit me for my help or not. You can ask for a refund if you want, but please do not rate me negatively (1 to 2 stars/faces). At least I have saved you some time.

I hope this helped.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I press enter to select that tab
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Press F10 to save and exit from the BIOS screen. At this point, the hard drive is dead thus it is no longer detected by the computer. You need to send or bring the laptop to an Acer service center so that an Acer tech can replace the faulty hard drive and reload your operating system.

That is your only option now since the drive is no longer functional.

As to your data inside your drive, unfortunately, if the drive continues to be undetected, no data can be recovered on that drive. Please ask the Acer repair tech to try to recover the data on the dead drive if there are still recoverable data in the drive.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jess