Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

My Lenovo T440P has recently started shutting down

Customer Question

My Lenovo T440P has recently started shutting down unexpectedly. Messages in the Windows logs after restart indicate that previous shutdown was unexpected, but nothing prior to that to indicate why. The last Window update was KB3102810 on 11/7/2015; prior updates were on 10/31/2015. I have only had this machine for appx 14 months. It came loaded with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit; I updated the BIOS on 9/22/ 2015 with version 2.34 in preparation to upgrade the OS to Window 10. Any ideas? Without messages in the Windows logs, I do not know what else to do other than take it to an authorized service center.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

I have seen this issue when machines tend to overheat due to a hardware issue. Also, does this issue happen when on battery power, charger, or both?

Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Also, is there anything specific you are doing when the event happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not recall whether it was on battery, or charger or both. It has occurred 3 or 4 times. After one incident, the machine ran the consistency check on the disk, so I don't want to use it until the problem has been resolved. I am using an older machine now, but trying to run the extended hardware checkup through the Lenovo solution center. I was not doing anything that should have taxed the machine. I have only an SSD drive, but I have 16GB of memory. It is highly likely that I was Citrix connection back to my workplace, and also Google Chrome for my company email, and possibly Spider solitare.
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Ahh Gotcha, Lets try to run some diagnostics on the machine. If you power it off, then power it back on and press F10 at the logo screen it should start the UEFI diagnostics tool. From there follow the instructions on the screen to run the diagnostics. These diagnostics are different brand to brand if there is an option to run full diagnostics run that, if not we will need to run each test one at a time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a "run all" option at the bottom of the list; I have selected this option. Should I run "quick tests" or "extended tests"?
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Run the extended test. It is a bit lengthy so you may want to plug the power adapter in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have started the tests.
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Let me know the results of the tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tests are still running. here are the results so far:
stress test - passedresult code: UCP200000-UK7W9Kmemory modules
advanced integrity test - passed
address test - passed
bit high test - passed
bit low test - passed
walking ones right test - passed
walking ones left test - passed
modulo-20 test - in progress (51% complete)
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last test just started, but does "Bit fade test (~180 min)" really mean that this test is going to run for 3 hours? All other tests passed; see below:stress test - passed
result code: UCP200000-UK7W9Kmemory modules
advanced integrity test - passed
address test - passed
bit high test - passed
bit low test - passed
walking ones right test - passed
walking ones left test - passed
modulo-20 test - passed
moving inversions-8bit - passed
moving inversions-32bit - passed
random pattern test - passed
random number test - passed
block move test - passed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still awake. The "Bit fade test" is 48% complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The final test has completed; see below:bit fade test (~180 min) - passed
result code: UME7VV000-UK7W9KThe machine did not shutdown during the tests. As you suggested. the AC power adapter was plugged in during the testing.
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the next step would be to navigate to this link and download and run the ThinkVantage System Update tool, update any drivers it requires for your system. I know that sometimes drivers that require updates can also cause the issues you are having.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/tvsu-update

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this as soon as possible. I work full-time during the day (Eastern time); I may be late getting home from mid-week church service tonight. I have updated drivers in the past using the Lenovo application that came preinstalled, but I have also had driver problems after some of these updates. There have been times when I have backed out current drivers due to resolve intermittent problems. The most recent instance as was a WLAN driver that would intermittently loose the wireless connection to the wireless routern.
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good let me know the results. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ThinkVantage system update tool was already installed. I accessed it the "Lenovo Solution Center" application. The first thing it did was update itself. There were no new critical updates. There were 3 recommended updates that I did not install because these items were not already installed on my machine, and I did not want to cloud the issue with new software. There were some optional updates. I compared them to the currently installed programs to determine which ones to install. I actually installed all of them except for the "Intel Wireless LAN drive 18.20.0". Based on the history, this is the one that I had previously installed and backed out due to the wireless LAN dropping unexpected before my current problems began.One of your first questions to me about my current problem was whether or not it occurred on battery or AC power or both. I did not know the answer, but I noticed that during the time you have been working with me and hours of running the hardware testing, with the machine on AC power, that the machine did not shutdown unexpectedly. I kept it on AC power to install the updates through the update tool. I felt brave, so after using the update tool, I applied the huge number or updates the MS released 1-1/2 weeks ago. Again, the machine never shutdown unexpectedly. Today, I am testing the machine on battery. As of this moment, I have used the machine on battery only for appx 3 hours, and it has not shutdown unexpectedly. Would you say that the problem is corrected?
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

From what you have explained, I would say the problem is corrected. Give it another day or so before you decide to close this request just in case. Let me know if you see any further issues by Wednesday this week. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had any more problems. Thank you very much for your help!