Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

First my new HP laptop with windows 10 would not open the

Customer Question

first my new HP laptop with windows 10 would not open the start menu or start up cortana, I tried to start to open the computer in safe mode, now it will not accept my password ***** start up at all
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.

When did the problem start?

Are you unable to login via normal mode as well?

Have a look at what email address is listed as your username or directly under your username and try to log into Windows using the Microsoft account you see listed there.

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Look, I am writing this on my desktop, the laptop will NOT work at all because it will not accept the same password ***** have used with it for almost a year. You cannot work remotely with it, because it is not working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid 46 dollars for this consult, I want to fix this and not pay anymore
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Sure that's no problem - have a look at my questions and see if you can give me a little more info on that.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for a week, the error message said, we will fix the start up menu the next time you log in.
Today, I tried to start the computer in safe mode, but it did not work, as in it would not accept my password ***** start up.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried restarting and going into Normal boot mode as opposed to safe mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was trying to get to the start up menu config through windows exe, but now it is completely locked down and will not open because it says my password ***** ***** which it is not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will NOT boot up at all, this is what I am trying to tell you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turn it on, the screen for password ***** up, it rejects it and does not go any further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have turned it off and on several times now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I turn it on and get to another screen? I do not know how to do this with windows 10
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Let's go one step at a time.

Not booting at all means the computer does not even attempt to boot up. No messages on the screen, nothing.

There are 2 sets of passwords you can run into when booting the computer, one is the BIOS password ***** the other is the Windows password.

What does the password ***** look like for your computer?

Does it look all old and MS-DOS like or does it say Windows?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in setup utility right now, I figured out how to open it
It is windows
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

If you are in the setup utility then it means you are in the BIOS screen, which usually looks blue (or grey).

You can press F9, then F10, hit Enter to save and let the computer reboot on its own.

See if you can get to the Windows logon screen again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
load set up defaults?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
f9
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, press F9, then F10, hit Enter to save and let the computer reboot on its own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go to work now, you can please return my paypal payment, since I got no resolution at all. I am sorry I tried to work with you. I guess I have tried this before, and it did not work then either. Thanks for nothing, please return my money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and the sign in page still comes up, and it still rejects my password
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Of course it does - I never asked you to go into the BIOS, I was merely showing you how to get out of the BIOS so we could move onto the logon screen.

You may request a refund by calling 1(###) ###-####br />
Have a lovely day!