Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

My Lenovo laptop CANT FIND MY NETWORK

Customer Question

My Lenovo laptop CANT FIND MY NETWORK
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Is your Lenovo laptop running Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10?

When was the last time tat this laptop was able to connect to your wireless network?
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8, just a couple days ago and my iPad and phone are both able to connect to my wifi network
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u there?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you using the problem laptop now to communicate with me? Or are you using your smartphone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using my smartphone
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that confirmation.

Unfortunately, I do not provide phone support. I only provide online chat support like what we are doing now, and remote access support. But I cannot remotely fix the problem laptop since it is not connected to the internet.

Now, can you please check and confirm for me if the wifi switch of your laptop is turned ON? If it is not detecting your wireless network, the main reason could be that the wifi radio is OFF.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's on and it sees other networks in the area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to "ping" the router on my command prompt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the Intel wireless diagnostic and the association test failed
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

When was the last time that this problem laptop is connected to your wifi?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already answered that question - 2 days ago!!!!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is your wireless router turned ON all the time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's always on but it got turned off (service disconnected) and now it's back in and working with my apple devices
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I believe your smartphones are able to detect the wifi. Let us check if this problem is caused by weak signal strength. How many signal bars are shown in your smartphone when you are near the laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2...it worked fine from the same location in the house earlier in the week
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You mean 2 bars? Can you try to move the laptop near the wireless router and see if it can detect the wifi signal? Use your phone to spot a location with 4 to 5 bars and use your laptop there. See if it is able to connect to the wireless network.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess that is NOT the issue it doesn't see the network even when I'm sitting right next to the router...something needs to be reset on the laptop the test of the Intel
Wifi "association" fails - I'm wondering if you can really help or not
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to help you here and I am eliminating the signal strength issue. If it is still not getting the your wireless signal if positioned near the router, then signal strength is not the cause.

Have you tried to run the troubleshooter to allow Windows to detect and reset the wireless adapter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I click on "show me a list of available networks" my network is not listed
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Please do the following:

Open the network control panel

Select manage wireless networks

Is your wireless network listed there? If yes, please delete that network

Also, if you have a long list of networks that are no longer available for a long time, please delete them as well.

Restart the computer then test if your wireless network is detected again.

Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have "Network Connections" and "Control Panel" but no "Network Control Panel" as an option please advise
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, please give me a moment to give you the steps

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

On the chime, click on Settings (or PC Settings)

Then click Network

Then click View Connection Settings

Then under WIFI, click "Manage Known Networks"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I did that and it lists my network and only option is "choose a network to forget"
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Please remove or "forget" that network and do the same for old networks that are still listed there.

After doing that, restart the computer and try connecting again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and restarted and it still can't find my network - do u think you can help me because I'm not sensing we are making any progress? Should try getting help say other way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer this question because I asked it earlier and u did not respond - can we "ping" the router on command prompt?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am still here to help you further.

The next procedures is to uninstall your wireless adapter driver. But before doing that, please tell me the exact model of your Lenovo laptop so that I can help you locate the current wireless driver.

Also, please go to Device Manager and expand the Network Adapter section and then tell me the exact item listed there with the name "wireless".

TO answer that question, NO, it is NOT possible to ping the router since you are not connected to it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lenovo P500
Intel (R) Centrino Wireless N 2230
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. In your Device Manager, with Network Adapter expanded, please right click on that "Intel (R) Centrino Wireless N 2230" and then click Uninstall. Check the option that will DELETE the driver.

Please tell me when done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will but how can I reinstall the driver without being connected to the Internet and I don't have CD to load?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You need another computer to download the driver and then save the downloaded driver in a USB drive to transfer to the problem laptop and install there

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have another computer to be used for this? and a USB flash or thumb drive to transfer the downloaded driver to the problem laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a usb at house so I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I use a cd?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

In the other computer, please use this link to download the latest wireless driver for your laptop:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-p-series-laptops/ideapad-p500-notebook?c=1

In that page, select your OS and then download the "Intel" driver listed.

Here is the shortened link for the driver page:

http://tinyurl.com/ndrdh7l

Yes, you can burn the downloaded file to a CD and use the CD to copy the driver installer in the problem laptop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The driver download can not be copied to my disc frustration level running higher now
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me why it does not copy to the CD? But were you able to download and save the driver installation file in the other computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send me a link to the driver file that can be copied on a CD - need to get this done
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to download the file but cannot write to CD? Or were you unable to download the file at all using the first link I gave you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can download the file but it's a .exe file that I can't seem to cooy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Copy
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok. SO it means the download is not a problem. I tried to also download the file here and I got an EXE File. That is an executable Windows file ready to be run in a Windows environment.

So the problem now is the copying of the file to the CD. What exactly is the error you are getting when copying to CD fails?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other computer is an Apple so I'm guessing That's the problem
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok... BUt if it is just a copy to a CD, then that should not be a problem. Are you using a blank CD? Are you getting any error when copying or burning fails?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't work on this any longer this evening please let me know how I can continue tomorrow and no I'm not getting an error message and the CD is blank - I can open the file but. It cooy it
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I am very sorry if you are unable to copy the driver file to the blank CD at this time.

We can resume tomorrow about the time we started today. Just bookmark this page we are in now so that you can post your reply tomorrow when you are back and available. You can also open the question link in the email that you receive from JustAnswer to be able to access our conversation again.

Thank you..

Jess