IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Laptop wont go past login screen

Customer Question

laptop wont go past login screen
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

Please tell me which Windows version is installed on your laptop. Also, are you asked to type a password ***** the login screen?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on win 10 , and yes I need to type a password
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Is the screen black or something else happens after you type the password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I t just stay trying to login ,its on the login screen forever
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. Do you have only 1 user account or several?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One only
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK, let's repair the problem.

Please restart the computer and access the login screen. If it asks you to select your user account or to type the password, don't do that, but check if you can see the power icon located in the bottom right corner of the login screen.

If you see it, click on the power icon and then press and hold down the Shift key on your keyboard, and while still holding, click on Restart. Continue to hold the Shift key until you see a blue screen that says "Choose an option".

Let me know if you were able to access the "Choose an option" screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is Restart ?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Check the bottom right corner.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You should see 3 icons at the login screen located in the bottom right corner. The last one is the power icon.

Click it and then press and hold down the Shift key on your keyboard, and while still holding, click on Restart. Continue to hold the Shift key until you see a blue screen that says "Choose an option".

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

See the attached picture:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is taking me to the screen where it gives the hour and the date but its not moving from there , its taking a lot of time
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please restart the laptop and try again. You can press the power button on your laptop and keep holding it until it has shut down.

After that, wait for 10 seconds and start it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still same screen , do I wait to see if it switches to login screen?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please click somewhere on the background picture that shows the date and time. After that, check the bottom right corner for the power icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Laptop in time and date screen. wont move from there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It finally switched to login screen but button on right corner is not highlited
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Do you see the icons in the bottom right corner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Good. Please click on the last icon (power icon) and then press and hold down the Shift key on your keyboard, and while still holding, click on Restart. Continue to hold the Shift key until you see a blue screen that says "Choose an option".

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still returns to time and date screen
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

The instructions I provided allow you to access the repair options.

If you cannot follow them, you will need to use a Windows 10 disc in order to repair the Windows 10 installation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to follow your instructions but laptop is acting up its not me , I have a windows 10 disc.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Since you have a Windows 10 disc, you can use it to repair the Windows 10 installation.

Please insert the disc into your laptop. Restart the laptop in order to load the disc. You will then be given a way to (re)install Windows 10, or to repair it. Select "Repair your computer" option located in the bottom left corner. The "Choose an option" screen will appear. On that screen, click on "Troubleshoot", then click on "Advanced options". On the next screen, select "System Restore".

After that, follow the instructions to choose a date when your computer worked fine.

Let me know if that worked.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.