Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

This concerns a Toshiba qosmio, with dual hd"s. Will not

Customer Question

this concerns a Toshiba qosmio, with dual hd"s. Will not boot, keeps saying restart and retry. Toshiba tech recommends local shop, check HD's. Suspect that system might merely looking at the wrong drive to boot? I will pay if you know anything that can be done without taking it into the Toshiba shop. thank you
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Do you know if your drives are solid state?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are both Seagate 1000gb hybreds.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

How old?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 5 years, Can give you serial number if that would help?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did you install the drives or did it come that way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, they are both Seagates latest and bestest. I installed them myself. Toshiba tech advises to
have them tested at shop. I suspect that it may be that the install loop is caused by the machine
looking at the wrong drive for install windows?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a disc in the DVD drive by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows Vista disk is in DVD drive.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You have Windows already installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, trying to install, goes into a loop. comes back setup unable to install windows on this
machine. Go back to go and start over. Do that, same result. Some kind of loop I suspect.
Toshiba tech though drive is defective.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

How do you have the drive configured in the BIOS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know, in fact I didn't know this machine had two Hd's. How do you get into the bios when
I can't get a c drive cursor?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Didn't you say you installed the drives?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just physically removed the old drive and put in the new one. Never had a problem before.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so you only have one hard drive installed and not two?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there are two drives in the machine. I assume one is the boot drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
boot and operating system drive.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Don't misunderstand, but do you actually see two distinct hard drives?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are two physical drives. both in the machine right now. Both, as I said before
Seagate 1000hd hybred drives.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

And both are brand new with nothing on them correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1000hd should read 1000gb
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, only one is brand new. Don't know about the other. Perhaps the Toshiba tech
knows something we don't know? Take the thing and have the drives tested he said.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know what a bios is, and have been there many times. But not on this particular
machine.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if only one is new and the other is the original boot drive, that is your problem. If Windows is already installed and that drive is designated as the boot drive, you cannot install the operating system on a second drive. Try removing the original drive and replacing it with the new one and see if you can get Windows to install.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suposeing this works, can I then get into the bios to designate the remaining drive as d. or something?What you're saying windows will not install on the one drive if it's already on the other? Ok, I will try that
advice. If it works, authorize 30$ pay instead of $20. Even if this was a mutual hack job, I know it would have
been more and a lot more trouble to take it into the shop. If I don't bounce your pay, you will know this worked.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I will stay with you although I may not be able to get back you right away. I want to check something else for you. When you get to the hard drives, get me the model numbers if you would please. With just one drive in the machine, you won't need to make any changes in the BIOS. If it works, then just connect the other drive and restart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switched the drives. No good. Will get you the serial numbers if still want? Looks like the QOSMIO Headed
for the shop. Tout provided by Tos. pc SERIAL NUMBER:88081034H. Am now doing the recovery disks on the switched drive,
for what's it's worth. Not much confidence in that. ***@******.*** if you have any other questions. If confirmed that you
made honest effort, you can have your $30. Some things just have to be physically examined?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Well I can't believe both drives can be bad so hold off a bit. It is not the serial number I need but the model number of the drive.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

When you purchased the drives, did you purchase the Laptop Upgrade Bundle which would have included the DiskWizard software? If you have that, you should be able to clone your old drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both drives are Seagate laptop 1000gb. one in hand sn:W7719vng. As for your drive switch suggestion? Didn't work though I appreciate the logic of the suggestion. Then I did recovery on that drive. Didn't work there either. It seems like the Machine wants to go into the shop? I mean how likely is it that both drives have failed at the same time? This is a case for the FBI? Ha, ha.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find the area to rate Dan, but I know about these things to know he knows his stuff, or can point you to someone who does. If I were in a position to hire would definitely hire this guy for double whatever he is making providing he can qualify for a top secret clearance? The boyscouts may contact you, Dan?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Before we give up, unless you are at your wits end, which I wouldn't blame for that! what do you think about trying to use the cloning software they recommend?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If your original boot drive is intact, it will cost a lot less to go this route then to take it to the shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Dan, I don't see what else I can do, except take it in someplace and have the drives
tested, as the Toshiba teach suggested? Everything else about the machine seems ok so
what do you mean by this cloning? It seems that something is broke on the machine? or
something was put on it? (Those are just guesses). Since these are hybred drives perhaps
some kind of code can be put into the solid state part of the drive? Where are you physically
located? Might consider shipping the machine to you? (I don't consider myself an expert but
knowledgable and never have seen anything like it.) Without the drives being bad, and I've had
that happen before but two at once? it's a puzzle? It's also taking up too much of my time puzzling.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Watch this video.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I really hate to see you spend the money if it is something we can fix!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how you would proceed, without having physical access. Yes, I have the Seagate backup. I use Norton 360 to restore. What is it you are suggesting? I can't see what it could be without the HD's responding? Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My suggestion of me shipping the machine to you along with vista disks would mean you would do the
same repair as the local tech. Install Windows Vista, ship the machine back to me at my cost of course,
and I will do a download of N360, and do a restore of win 8.1 which is what I have. The reason I am willing to
go through all this trouble is that I am curious as two drives failing same time, plus I am casting about for a
faster machine anyway. Tos has already told me they don't have an e5 machine, and don't intend to produce
one. So, now looking about. Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the by, some many months ago, heard that Seagate was having a problem with their new Hybreds? Very desirable
hd replacement so I assume they were selling like hot cakes. (get em out the door, fix em later?)
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What you would do with this software is put your old hard drive back into your computer. Then you would install the DiskWizard and using the USB adapter as shown in the video, clone tho old drive to the new drive. That will make it an exact duplicate which you would then remove the old drive and replace the new drive with and boot from that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trouble with that is this: I can download Diskwizard but I haven't seen the clone gizmo in ages. PLUS, I AM STILL PARANOID SUSPICOUS OF WHY TWO DRIVES SHOULD FAIL SAME TIME? 2(PERHAPS ONE DRIVE WAS
ALREADY KAPUT AND SINCE I BOOTED FROM THE OTHER. DIDN'T NOTICE UNTIL BOTH WERE DEAD.
POSSIBLE.
I WILL DO A CURSORY INSPECT FOR THE CLONE CRADLE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BESIDES, I RESPECT YOUR APPROACH BUT DOUBT IT WOULD WORK WITHOUT WINDOWS/N360 ON
THE TARGET DRIVE? OR THE DISKWIZARD SOFTWARE WOULD DO IT, YOU ASSUME.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I am somewhat suspicious of that too. Here is a trick that is used on SSD drives when they lock up. Now keep in mind this is for a full SSD drive and not a hybrid but it may work. Plug the power plug into the drive only, no data plug and leave it for about 20 minutes. Then remove it for one minute and repeat. After the second cycle, plug in both cables and see if you can gain access by possibly installing Windows. I still think the clone is the way to go even if you have to buy the adapter. Remember, all you need for the cloning process is your old original hard drive and that's it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm GOING to buy the adapter route. But how can this work if the drive is physically defective. The tos tech said I should
have them tested. being naturally paranoid I suspect he knew something I didn't? LIKE THESE DRIVES HAVE A HIGH
FAILURE RATE.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I think he was guessing? Is your original hard drive in good working order and able to boot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nO, IT ISN'T, THAT'S WHY I AM SO PUZZLED. TWO DRIVES OUT AT THE SAME TIME? however, YOUR
APPROACH OF CLONEING WOULD WORK, UNLESS THE TARGET DRIVE WAS PHYSICALLY DEFECTIVE?
I APPRECIATE THAT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I THINK IT WAS PCMAG WHERE I READ THAT THERE WAS A BIG DEMAND FOR THESE HYBREDS(AND YOU CAN
UNDERSTAND THAT)BUT THERE WAS A HIGH FAILURE RATE(CHEAP DRIVE FOR WHAT IT DOES, WHAT DO YOU
EXPECT) KEEP THE CUSTOMER, JUST SEND THEM A NEW HD.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, now I understand your confusion. I was under the impression you purchased two new hard drives to replace your original IDE hard drive that was working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hELL, THE OLD HD THAT CAME WITH THE MACHINE IS SO FAR BACK I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO IT BUT I KNOW WHEN WHEN I WENT SEARCHING FOR A REPLACEMENT, MY EYES LIT UP WHEN I SAW THE HYBRED,
AND BETTER YET, WHEN I RAN IT. WHICH IS JUST SEAGATE EXPECTED I SUPPOSSE?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WOULD DEFINETLY GO AHEAD WITH YOUR SUGGESTION TO CLONE THE DRIVE EXCEPT THAT I DON'T WETHER EITHER ONE IS ANY GOOD? AND I DON'T HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO TEST IT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CORRECTION SHOULD READ I DONT KNOW WETHER
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I have one of these drives, not the same size but all the same, it has been a very good drive. If you have been unable to install the operating system then cloning it or attempting to would probably be a waste of time. Rather than take it to your local tech, why don't you contact the retailer and return them under warranty exchange?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YEAH, IT'S AN IDEA. THE TROUBLE IS I HAVE TO MAKE SURE I GOT THE LATEST, THE OLDER
DRIVE MAY BE OUT OF WARRANTY. THINK I WILL GO TO SEAGATE ITSELF FIRST. THEY GOT A
PERSON WHO IS A PROFESSIONAL SCHNOOZER. SO SORRY, THE HD FATES HAVE BEEB SO UNKIND TO
YOU, ETC, ETC. (PAYS TO KEEP THE BUSINESS I GUESS)
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You can go to their web site and punch in your serial number and it will tell you if you are out of warranty or not. How about the retailer you purchased them from? Can you return the drives to them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WILL TRY BOTH ROUTES. THINK THE LAST ONE WAS FROM TIGER.
I DONT SEE WHAT ELSE YOU CAN DO FOR ME. AND AS I SAID BEFORE, IF I NEEDED
A PROFESSIONAL AND I MIGHT, I WOULD CERTAINLY CONSIDER YOU. HAVE A TOP
SECRET CLEARNCE? OR CAN GET ONE? (SEE THE BOYSCOUTS)
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks... I appreciate that! If you consider changing drives, Samsung gets the award for the best SSD drive for 2015.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to provide you with the assistance you needed. When it is convenient, please remember to rate my service for you.