IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My laptop turns on gets to individual icons to open when t

Customer Question

Good evening, my laptop turns on gets to individual icons to open when hit just blinks and thats it, what do you think?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

I am sorry for the issue! Please tell me the make and model of your laptop, and when the problem first started to happen.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello IT Miro, My laptop is a dell xps and the problem started today, could this be a hack or virus possibly? It is locked at the icon to get in, just blinks when you hit it.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what the cause of the problem is. Is Windows 10 installed on your Dell laptop or another Windows version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have windows 8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so what now
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

When you restart the laptop, do you see the logon screen where you need to type the password, or it takes you to the start icons automatically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, so while I was waiting for you, I was able to go into safe mode and get in that way, but not sure what to do now in safe mode
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Great! You can access the System Restore from there which will allow you to revert any recent changes to the computer.

I will provide the instructions on how to use it. Hold on...

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Here is what to do:

1. While you are in desktop, move the mouse cursor to the bottom right corner and you will see a new pane. Click on Search

2. There type system restore and then click the Settings

3. Click the Create a restore point

4. The System Properties window will open. There click the System Restore... button

5. When the System Restore window opens, you can select Recommended Restore which is usually one or two days old. To see all available restore points, select Choose a different restore point and click Next

6. Select one restore point to restore to the date it was created (when your computer operated just fine), and then click Next

7. To confirm, click Finish. Windows 8 will then attempt to restore all Windows and program settings to the date you selected

Note that this process won't delete or restore any personal files. At the end of the restoration, Windows will restart the computer and, upon next log in, it will show whether the restoration was successfully completed or not. If it failed, you can try with another restore point.

When the restoration completes, check if you can start your computer normally.

I hope this helps! If not, let me know and I will check for further options.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
approximately how long does the system restore take
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Up to 10 minutes.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if System Restore helped solve the problem.

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.