Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I cannot connect to the internet

Customer Question

I cannot connect to the internet
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please tell me which version of Windows are you using in the problem computer?

Also, how is it connected to the internet? Is it with an ethernet cable? or wireless?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10/ wireless
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Are you using another computer now? Or are you on a smartphone?

Also, has this been happening after the upgrade to Windows 10?

When was the last time that the problem computer is able to connect to the internet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Smartphone/ No, it was happening sporadically before we upgraded to 10./ 3 days ago.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

If you have a spare ethernet cable and your router has an ethernet slot, please give it a try and see if it can connect to the internet just fine and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer and router are in 2 different rooms.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok...before trying the ethernet option, can you please check your Device Manager if there are drivers missing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I tried to connect to the Internet, I was told that the driver for the Wireless network connection adapter had a problem
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Right click on the start button, then click on Device Manager

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, done
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

In device manager, under Network Adapter, what exactly is the line that says "wireless"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no line that says wireless.
It says "ports" ( COM & LPT)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, I think it's a real rip off to charge me $20.00 to talk to you.
Puts a real bad taste in my mouth about buying another computer from your company.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am very sorry if you have that impression. We are not ripping off anyone here. We guarantee our service and you can always get your money back.

I really want to help you with this problem of your. But if you want to not continue with this question, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to continue to resolve the problem.
We can discuss the phone issue after.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Please check your device manager. What are the items listed when you expand Network Adapters?

Here is my screen shot:

http://filesxpress.com/d-a4ba135d

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine are different-
Neat gear a6200 wifi adapter
Realtek pole ghetto family controller
Wan mini port (ikev2)
And additional wan mini port settings
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Now, when your wifi is turned on, is the laptop able to detect your wireless network?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not from the computer.
It can from my smartphone and ipad
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a wireless router there? Is the problem laptop able to detect the wireless router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The router is in another room.
The problem computer is a desktop.
It's not able to detect the router
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry about the confusion but I asked as to how the problem computer connects to the internet and you said wireless.

So ti is not able to detect the wireless network or the router, but it is able to detect your smartphone's hotspot. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is all the computer info:
Product name: Veriton X2631
Serial # *****
Snid: *********** Part # *****
Fun: hbn24
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Is your smartphone connected to the wireless router? If yes, can you please check and verify if the signal strength of your wifi is strong enough for the desktop to detect? If the wireless router is in the other room, depending on the distance and physical blockage, the signal can be weak so the desktop if unable to detect. So while beside your desktop, please check the signal strength of the router using your smartphone. Is it 5 bars or 1 bar only?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The smartphone is connected to the wireless router.
It is in the room with the router currently and it is showing 2 bars.
However, we never had these types of problems with the desktop to this degree in the past.
I'm not sure if that is the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You still here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess-I think you need to call me.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you planning on getting back to me?
If not, please credit my Amex account as you did not resolve my issue.
Please confirm.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back and I am sorry for the late reply.

I believe the issue is with the signal strength of your wireless router. It could be too weak for the desktop PC to detect and that the smartphone is only getting 2 bars. The phone can connect since it is mobile, you can freely move it to get some signal but the desktop is stationary.

I suggest then that you check your wireless router -- if it has an antenna, please position the router and straighten the antenna to broadcast wireless signal properly.

When the router is positioned properly, with the antenna in the correct angle, please check with your smartphone if the signal strength has increased. If yes, then your PC shall be able to detect the wireless network and connect to it.

Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I do not provide phone support, I only provide online chat support and remote access support. But please rest assured that I will still be able to help you until your issue is resolved. I am online now and for the next 10 hours. If you happen to be online during that time range, we can resume with this.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jess