Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of laptop (and desktop) hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have an hp envy laptop with a hardware failure. i was told

Customer Question

I have an hp envy laptop with a hardware failure. i was told it is the harddrive. can I save my docs from the old harddrive to an external hard drive and then install a new one, then reload my docs without transferring a potential virus?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Yes, you can transfer your documents to an external hard drive, and the virus won't be transferred.

By the way, did HP find any virus? Or was it just hardware / hard drive issue?

Are you currently able to use the laptop or not?

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can turn on the laptop but in a relatively short time it will freeze up. Hp ran some cleaners and took control of the computer for a few hours, they never said yes or no to viruses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is changing the hard drive something I should be able to do myself? I am mechanically inclined. More worried about backing up the documents.

Replacing hard drive is usually easy, though you need the windows / recovery disks to reinstall Windows.

Can you go to Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking on the laptop? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am turning my laptop on. how do i go to safe mode?

Shut down the laptop, then turn it back on, then right away, keep tapping the key F8 quickly and repeatedly until a menu appears, then select the Safe Mode option. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it twice and it is still opening to the normal screen, no menu with safe mode. should i try again?

Sorry, it is strange. Shut down the laptop, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing and releasing the key F8 quickly and repeatedly many times, then see if a menu appears or not. Can you confirm it has Windows 8? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has been upgraded to windows 10

Thank you. Please try:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer, but do not log in.
  3. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  4. Click on the Power icon, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  5. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  6. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  7. Then select the option Advanced options.
  8. Select option Startup Settings
  9. Select option Restart.
  10. Use arrow keys on keyboard to select option Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
  11. Then press Enter key.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
holding shift key for several mins. says getting windoiws ready dont turn off your computer

Release the Shift key, then wait a bit, then see what happens. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
balls going slowly in a circle, meaning working but nothing else. it is on oping page before requesting password

Does it let you copy your docs to the external drive (copy important docs first)? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i plugged in my external hard drive. the light is on for the external hard drive nothing else happens. the light is blinking

How was HP support able to take control of the computer when the computer is not working at all, i.e., the internet is not working on the computer?

Press and hold the power on/off button on the computer for about 10 seconds, and it will power off

, then turn it back on, then it should show the sign-on screen, but do not sign in

, then

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key (about 2 minutes.)
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now a different page that i have never seen came up. It says choose to 1 exit and continue to windows 10, 2 turn off compouter, 3 use a device, use a usb drive, network connectionm or windowss recovery dvd, 4 troubleshoot reset you pc or see advanced options

At that page, please try:

1. Then select the option Advanced options.
  2. Select option Startup Settings
  3. Select option Restart.
  4. Use arrow keys on keyboard to select option Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
  5. Then press Enter key.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i was talking to hp i was able to go on the internet and they were able to take it over, it seems to freeze up after a while and now it is acting different . When i was first talking to your and starting it up it seem to be starting correctly

OK. At any point if the computer starts up fine, then try to back up your docs to the external hard drive.

At that page, please try:

2. Select option Startup Settings
  3. Select option Restart.
  5. Then press Enter key.
  6. Then sign in.
  7. Then see if you can back up your docs to the external drive.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your last instructions seem to be working , i just entered enable safe mode with networking and i have come to my sign in page requesting my passwork

Great. Now, please sign in now and see if you ca back up your docs to the external hard drive. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, how do i back up my docs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am in safe mode

Is the internet currently working in Safe Mode? If yes, can you go to your email on it, then see if you receive email messages from JustAnswer / Viet?

Connect the external hard drive, then click on Start, then click on File Explorer

, then open Documents, then right-click on a document or a folder, then click on Copy

, then click on This PC on the left

, then open the external drive letter there, then right-click on an empty space on it, then click on Paste.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says not connected to the internet, no internet available. Diagnose problems says to reboot the computer to exit safe mode, diagnose will not work on safe mode.

Did you select Safe mode or Safe mode with networking previously?

Can you connect the external hard drive, then click on Start, then click on File Explorer

, then click on This PC on the left

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked on This pc, then opened cd drive E and it seem to be filling the This PC bar with a green filler
also a box open that says insert a cd disk. the hard drive is already connected, now the bar is streaking with green. I did not get to paste yet

Don't open the CD drive letter. After clicking on This PC, note all the drive letters there. Then unplug the drive and check, then plug the drive and check. See if there is any difference showing in This PC. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my passport F goes off when I disconnect and comes back on when i connect hard drive

That's good. Now, can you copy and paste any doc file you want to the F: drive? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the screen is black, not with the normal background and says safe mode in the upper and lower right corners

That's fine. Now, can you copy and paste any doc file you want to the F: drive? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i have to do each doc one at a time?

No, you do not. You can select multiple documents / multiple folders at a time.

- For example, press and hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, then click on each doc file and/or each folder you want, then when done, release the Ctrl key, then right-click on any selected item, then select option Send to, then click on the F: drive.

- Or click on the first doc file or folder you want, then press and hold the Shift key, then click on the last doc you want, then right-click on any selected item, then select option Send to, then click on the F: drive.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
selected all docs as you mentioned and right clicked on one and i have a box that offers option of view, sortby, group by, refress paste undo copy etc. but no send to.

Sorry, please click on option Copy, then click on This PC, then open F: drive, then right-click on an empty space in F: drive, then click on Paste. Please let me know. thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think i am getting docs and pic transferred across to the hard drive. Then should I go buy a hard drive and replace the old one?

Great. Please remove the external hard drive, then try a possible fix below:

- Click on Start, then click on Settings, then click on Update & setting, then click on Recovery on the left, then click on Reset PC, then select option Keep my files when prompted, and continue.

Please let me know. Thank you.