Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have an X220 Lenovo Thinkpad. When I connect a

Customer Question

I have an X220 Lenovo Thinkpad. When I connect a projector/monitor through it's RS232 connector (DB9), the projector doesn't show the laptop screen. Since I bought this laptop, this is my 1st time connecting it to an external display. How can I fix this
problem?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Joel, hopefully I can assist you today. Sorry to hear your having trouble with the external display

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Once you have connected the projector. Can you press the Fn+F7 key and make sure you have the external display selected. Let me know how you go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was done before, the projector doesn't get any signal from laptop
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

What model is the projector your using? Is it a HD projector?

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Its possible the laptop has a much higher resolution and so the output device cannot display. Would also depend on if you are trying to mirror (display on laptop and the same on the monitor/projector) or whether you just want to output to the monitor/projector only. Have to tried cycling through those options, by using Fn then pressing F7 multiple times? You can also trying going into the display preferences on the laptop and setting it to a lower resolution and then see if the monitor/projector takes the signal. I am assuming the cable your using is fine and has worked in the past. Let me know if you've tried the above with no luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of these are the issue. I have another laptop that works fine with that projector
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

No worries. If everything works fine with the other laptop then it must be one of the above with your new Lenovo. If you have tried lowering the resolution on the Lenovo, cycling through the output sources with Fn+F7 to no avail I'm out of ideas. Do you have any other external display or monitors you can try with the Lenovo?

I have also checked the Lenox manual and found the following section, though it just suggest similar stuff to the above.

Problem: The external monitor is blank.

Solution: To bring up the image, press Fn+F7 and select the desired monitor. If the problem persists, do the following:

1. Connect the external monitor to another computer to make sure it works.

2. Reconnect the external monitor to your computer.

3. Refer to the manual shipped with the external monitor to check the resolutions and refresh rates that are supported.

– If the external monitor supports the same resolution as the computer display or a higher resolution, view output on the external monitor or on both the external monitor and the computer display.

– If the external monitor supports a lower resolution than the computer display, view output on the external monitor only. (If you view output on the both the computer display and the external monitor, the external monitor screen will be blank or distorted.)

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

I would also try rebooting the Lenovo while the monitor/projector is connected to see if you get any signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why rebooting could help?
I thought the projectors will adjust their refreshing rate to the laptop's, won't they?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Rebooting would drop the signal and return it, least it may cause the monitor/projector to flicker suggesting the signal is present but the output is not being processed.

If its an older monitor/projector, and it's receiving a HD signal 1080 or higher resolution which it cannot display it may just show up black, so dropping the resolution on the monitor may resolve that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately none of these worked. how can I find out if I have the right drive for the RS232 connector?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you mean by right drive? The RS232 cable your using works for the other laptop and same monitor/projector?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what next?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Where you able to test using the Lenovo with a different monitor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you opt out, so others will have the chance to help? Thank you for your time
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

No worries, sorry I couldn't assist further. Ill opt out so others can assist.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. What is the brand and model number of your projector?

Is the laptop the projector works on running the same version of Windows as the X220?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please accept my remote support offer and let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support. Then I can send you the details to connect.

Regards
Jins

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both laptops have Windows 7. The projector I have is Epson 5025UB
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, hold down the Windows Logo key and P key. Do you get external display setting for Duplicating, Extending, Projector only etc. ?

Regards

Jins

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I looked up the specs on that projector. A 15-pin VGA cable from the laptop to the PC port on the projector is required to display the laptop screen. The RS-232c port is for projector controls. Use the remote control to select PC as the input.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My bad, the laptop has a 15 pin VGA.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

That's ok. So when you have the laptop and projector connected and hold down the Windows key and press P

and select either Duplicate or Extend what shows up on the projector screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no signal on projector scree. Why press Window logo key + P? It brings the Print Manager on the laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

The Winkey + P should work but there's more than one way to do this.

Click Start, open Control Panel

In the search box, type projector, and then click Connect to a projector.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

You may want to try the Windows key + P again.

Pressing Ctrl + P opens the print dialog and those two keys are right next to each other.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Got it working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the projector still no signal, although on the laptop I get the monitor option. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Right click on the desktop and select Screen Resolution. On that page click Detect.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

If you connect the other Projector to this laptop is it working ? Do you have another VGA cable ? If so please use it to connect the projector to the laptop. If the vable is broken projector will not get signal from computer. If your projector has an option to select the input, please make sure you selected VGA as input.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the same VGA with different laptop and it worked.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. This is kind of crazy. That projector should be working. I do have a question or two.

Was the laptop upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 or did it originally come with Win 7?

Is the Lenovo Presentation Director software installed on the laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came with Windows 7.
Presentation Director is not available for Windows 7, so it doesn't have it.Thank you
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Just checking.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in reply. If you connect the other Projector to this laptop is it working ?

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the questions are being repeated. please look at the info I gave.
Thank you
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Go here and check this BIOS update: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds018805

Take a look at the README part as well.