Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

My windows 7 log on screen will not recognize my correct

Customer Question

My windows 7 log on screen will not recognize my correct password. How to fix? I see it is a problem but none of the suggestions to fix seem to work this time.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me, what you have tried so far, so that I can skip those same steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Numerous safe mode attempts. My computer says it has no restore point set up and will not allow me to set one up.....or at least I cannot find how to. This happened once before and I fixed it. Cannot find the fix this time.

Thanks for the information, please follow the steps from the link below and let me know, how it goes for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PILDBTObzLw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not need the start up repair. The windows 7 starts up fine and goes to password ***** I type in correct password ***** it says unable to load. I go to safe mode and it takes my password ***** The start up screen is not working.

OK. did you try to set a new password ***** the safemode and checked, if it is working in normal mode or not ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed my password ***** safe mode and the new one works in safe mode. It does not work at the password ***** so something needs to be changed there. I looked online and this problem seems to be very common with numerous ways to fix but none have worked for me yet.

Sorry, this problem does not seems to be very common to me, this will take some time to solve and as I have to go offline for that day, I will open the question for other experts, so that they can help you with this issue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will keep trying on my own. Google the Windows 7 password ***** not work and you will get hundreds of messages.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Can you give me the exact error message you get

when entering your password ***** Normal mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The user profile service service failed this logon. User profile cannot be loaded". My password ***** ***** and I have no number locked, etc.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

That message says nothing about your password. That's not the problem. This is usually fixable with System Restore but when that fails you'll need to go into the Registry and fix it manually. You can do this in Safe Mode.

Here's the instructions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it. How do u get a search box in safe mode?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Once in Safe Mode hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R.

The Run box will open.

In the text area type: regedit and click OK

That will open the Registry editor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. no one tells you that one. Guess you are supposed to know it.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. It's not heavily advertised.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot find S-1-5. Will have to try a few things. It stops at software and has no SID key shown.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

This is the path. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Click the + signs and drill your way down.

It's in every version of Windows 7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No SID. Many other options but that is not listed
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Once you get to ProfileList on the left side of the page this is similar to what you'll see on the right side (see attachment)

Follow the instruction closely

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No help. Cannot get there. Will give up for now and go online tomorrow.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

What time tomorrow do you want to continue?