michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Notebook and Handhelp support expertise
26798893

There has to be an easy way to bypass and delete a Machine

Customer Question

There has to be an easy way to bypass and delete a Machine Password ***** a SONY VAIO laptop. What can I try? Thanks!
Category: Laptop
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Please let me know is it the power on bios password ***** the windows login password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has to be an easy way to bypass and delete a bios Machine Password ***** a SONY VAIO laptop. I simply want to reformat the disk and load Windows 7. However, I cannot get past the bios machine password.

Please let me know how old is the laptop

resetting bios password ***** be done either through special tools built in by sony or by reseating the cmos battery

let me know how old is the unit and i will suggest accordingly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing it is 5 -10 years old. It came with Windows XP.

ok...now there are 2 ways to bypass the bios password. one would be to contact sony and after providing a valid proof of purchase of the laptop, they would either send you a reset utiluty to run on the pc or might schedule a service at the service center. since the unit is out of warranty this might be a chargeable service

second way is to disassemble the laptop and remove and reseat the coin cell battery on the motherboard which you remove the password

i can provide you the steps to open the laptop and do this

if you are comfortable opening the unit let me know so that i may share the steps with you

let me know and i will suggest further accordingly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please provide the steps.

ok please turn off laptop and unplug power cord

remove the battery pack

keep the ON button on unit pressed for 10 secs

let me know once done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done

do you have a phillips screwdriver handy

we need to flip the laptop upside down and unscrew the screws

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ready

please watch this video..start watching from 0:40 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3KQ6_SlJsw

you will be able to locate the coin cell battery on the motherboard

let me know once you see it

let me know if you face any difficulty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine is different, and I have removed all of the screws on the back, but don't know how to proceed.

yes the video is a generic one for sony vaio...let me know the model# ***** your vaio

also let me know that were you able to open the memory modules\ram sticks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found one screw that appears to be stripped, and I can't get it out.

dont force it..can you tell me the model# ***** the vaio

is it the screw for the bottom panel cover or you have got the cover out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave up on the battery option. Believe it or not, I found a guy in Germany that gave me 7 digit code to try as the password, and it worked. But that leads me to the next issue. My intention is to do a clean install of Windows 7 on this Sony Vaio (PCG-571L). It currently has Windows XP. However, I cannot get it to boot from the CD where I have placed a genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit software DVD. I can get to the bios, and I have attached a couple of photos. Can you tell me what the "!" means next to "Optical Drive", and what the "+" means next to the "Hard Disk Drive"?

the exclamation sign and plus sign indicate an issue of bios not being able to recognise the drives correctly

press the shift key and number 1 key together on the bios screen and check if that makes that mark go away

you can also restart computer and tap the f12 key

you will reach a one time boot menu..select cd drive option and press enter

let me know what happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can make the ! go away, but I cannot change the + next to HARD DISK DRIVE. I do not have an option for CD Drive on my bios screen. I tried to tap the F12 key to no avail; it just powered up normally. Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I tried to power up with and without the ! showing for OPTICAL DRIVE.

insert the windows 7 disc and restart the computer and tap f2..once in bios ensure optical drive is selected as first boot device under the boot\boot sequence tab

press f10 to save changes and exit

the computer will restart, let me know if it boots from the windows 7 disc or not

also let me know your time zone and what times you can be available online as we both are in different time zones

knowing your availability will help me in being online accordingly to troubleshoot this issueb on real time basis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried this before, and I have tried it again to no avail. I'm beginning to wonder if my Windows 7 disc has been corrupted. I used it a few days ago to do a clean install on a different Sony Vaio which works just fine.I am in the Central Time Zone (Illinois).

if you can arrange an external usb cd/dvd drive then you can try booting from the external drive using the windows 7 disk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I do not have an external drive.

we cannot determine the internal drive is functioning or not however in that case you would need an external usb drive to determine that the internal drive is functioning or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can play an audio CD on the drive.

please insert the windows 7 disk in the drive and let windows xp run and be on teh desktop screen.

try to run the win7 disk from the my computer folder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It acts like it is trying to read the disc, but nothing happens. It just goes click, click.........click, click........

remove the disc and restart computer and tap the f12key

let me know if you reach the one time boot menu or not

dont worry about the plus sign next to hard drive..the plus sign is an indication that you can change the boot device order and can move the hard drive up or down in the list

if you do not get the f12 menu, restart and tap f2 to get in bios

ensure that cd drive is the first boot device and insert the windows 7 disc

save changes and exity

when computer restarts you will get a message - "press any key to boot from cd"...press enter as soon as you see that message and windows 7 disc setup should load

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not working. CD drive is not specifically listed. I have tried Optical Drive first and floppy drive first. It still does its normal boot from the Hard Drive. I do not get a message "press any key to boot from cd". There has to be something else wrong. Could lack of memory be an issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm frustrated!!!

let me know what time you will be online i will check the disk and the drive same time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I'm busy today, but should have time tomorrow. Thanks!

not a problem

do let me know the time tomorrow so that i may be online accordingly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was busy all of this week. Can we set up a time next week? Thanks!

sure we can post me a message when you will be online a day before.

Thanks