Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I have a Toshiba Satellite and am getting error code

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Satellite and am getting error code 0xc0000185...do I need a new hard drive, battery, power supply or can I get the laptop fixed with software?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I am Aitizaz and i will assist you today.

Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to tell you that this problem is related to the operating system you have installed on your computer i.e. WINDOWS

Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

but do not worry, this is a curable problem. Please answer a couple of questions before we proceed with the solution:

1. Do you see a blue screen with this error message on the screen when you turn on the computer or you are able to get to your desktop?

2. Do you have windows disk with you? if not, did the computer come with windows pre-installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn it on all I get is the Toshiba logo with no little wheel spinning which usually brings me to Windows. I only get the error message after hitting "0" and getting into the OS Setup screen and then going into HDD which then brings me to the blue screen. The computer came with Windows pre-installed and I have no back-up disk.
Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

in this case, basically we need to either REPAIR the windows or re-install it. if we are able to repair the computer, we will not lose any data. however, if we go for re-install, you will lose everything ont he C drive at least

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's OK to reinstall but do I need a copy of Windows 8? I can't seem to get to a screen that would allow me to reinstall the OS. Would a generic "Windows Repair" disk help?
Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

we can try to repair the windows first. Let me check keys to do that on a Toshiba laptop and i will get back to you

Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

please restart/start the computer and start tapping the F8 key as soon as you restart/start

Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

a screen with multiple options will appear. please let me know if you see REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER option there

Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F8 doesn't seem to work
F12 gets me into setup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any repair options.
Expert:  aitizaz replied 1 year ago.

please TAP the F8 key when you start the computer. press it continuously