Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 on my Surface Pro and

Customer Question

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 on my Surface Pro and initially had problems with Outlook not able to send out mail, but before I could fix this Outlook stopped working totally giving me the following error message:
"Cannot open default e-mail folders. Server is not available"
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if Outlook now functions correctly.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have completed all the options you recommended and restarted and I still have the same error message - unable to open Outlook
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Close Outlook

Open Control Panel

Type in Mail in the top right search and click on Mail.

Click on Add and enter a Profile Name.

Then add your email details for your account, once done on the profiles page, select from the box Always use this profile and select the new profile.
Then open Outlook, it should download your emails again and then function.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to do this and I get a message 'encrypted connection not available'.
This is very annoying as I have another laptop running exactly the same email address through outlook with no problems, but this computer has not been upgraded to Windows 10 (yet!)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

For which setting did it say this, and what was the setting you entered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added a new profile, with a new email account name, my existing email address and password ***** clicked next, it tried to establish a network connection and then after several minutes gave me the message 'encrypted connection not available'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would not connect to an un-encrypted one either!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

For which email service is it connecting to?

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About now I need to get to bed I'm sorry so I cannot continue at present. Thanks for trying to help
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I have marked the question to never close, so you can return and tell me the answer to the question so I can give the settings to use. Would not take long.

There is no time limit on this

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shall return tomorrow .
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not resolved this issue and will not have time tonight to resume our conversation. I would like to keep this oprn until tomorrow night. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

no problem, but please remember I still need to know from you which email service it is connecting to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im back.. to snswer your question my email service is yahoo xtra
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

which settings did you use when trying to connect too yahoo in outlook?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
incoming server - pop3.xtra.co.nz 995
outgoing sever - send.xtra.co.nz 465
encrypted connection SSl
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

try with for outgoing port 587 no SSL

And with incoming, no ssl 110

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and it it errored out on both incoming and out going, so I changed it back to the original settings and retested and it tested the both incoming and outgoing successfully. I also changed my data file location to my C:\users\appdat\local\microsoft\outlook and I was finally able to actually open Outlook, but now it does not send or recieve once I am in there. I Have tried to set my data file location back to the original D:\Outlook and I come up with a message - unknow error error code 0x80071ac3
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, sounds like outlook is completely corrupt.

Can you uninstall outlook, restart the surface, reinstall outlook and then try to add the account please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thanks I will try this. Probably will be tomorrow before I reply
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have finally got this fixed and have discovered the problem was that Windows 10 will not recognise a .pst file if it is not stored on the C:drive (mine was working happily on the D:drive - just another upgrade issue to add to the many others.
Thanks for your help anyway