John, Laptop Support Specialist
Experience:  I do installing, configuring and troubleshooting of both normal and high-end laptops.
50152684

When turn on laptop, screen remains black. Working fine last

Customer Question

When turn on laptop, screen remains black. Working fine last nite when it was turned off.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.

Sir/Ma’am please provide the following details so that I can understand the issue you are facing more clearly

Which is the make and model of the laptop? how old is it?

Does the light indicators on the laptop shows up?

Does it show the manufacturer start-up logo when you turn on the laptop?

Does it make any beep sounds when you turn on the laptop?

Sincerely,

Note: - Please keep this conversation/Chat page opened to view my replies quickly. You will also get an email notification in your email each time I reply. To reply back to me use the reply box below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Satellite L655D-85066 PSK2LU-00H001 5yrs old? (New battery within last 5 months)
One white Lite indicator on (front edge of laptop)
No logo - screen entirely blank
No beeps
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all the details.Is it Satellite L655D-85066 or Satellite L655D-S5066?

Please try the following

Make sure the laptop is Turned off completely then disconnect the AC adapter. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for about 60seconds. Releases the button do not insert the battery back now plug the adapter back and turn on the computer and see if the problem persists.

Please let me know the status,if it didn't work we can try other options.

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - yes it's S5066
Went thru steps above - nothing
two white lites on right front edge of computer and can hear fan running,
blank screen
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

No worries about the model number and thank you for the update.Next step is to remove the memory modules in the laptop so you need to remove some screws to memory bay and re-seat it. Are you comfortable in doing that.I can give you images of how to do it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really comfortable with that
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I can understand i am just sending you the images of where the memory bay is located and process of opening it.please check it and see if its OK with you if not leave it.This pdf has the instructions for it http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2728401&isFromTOCLink=false

Its from page 52 to 55.please check it and see if you can do it if not leave it.

Could you please try one more time the instructions i gave before because doing it couple of times also works.Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried twice more - no luck. Will look at PDF file
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trying.please let me know after you checked the pdf

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Sir/Ma'am were you able check the PDF i gave yesterday and were you able to follow the instructions in it to reset the memory modules.Is there anything you like to know?

Sincerely,