Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I've got an Acer Aspire One that has a major problem. It

Customer Question

Hi Justin, I'm Zen.. and I've got an Acer Aspire One that has a major problem. It boots up to the opening of
PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable;
PXE-M0f: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM. ;
Missing operating system
I can get to the boot sequence and it is set to the CD drive (external) and I can see the drive come on. I've got a Windows 7 Home Premium disc 32 bit with service pack 1 which does nothing and a Windows 7 All Platforms x64 which seems to start and then does nothing either. Any suggestions?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If it says anything about the Broadcom PXE ROM, then it is trying to boot up over the Ethernet connection

Either it has no other boot device that works, that it can use, or else Ethernet Bootup or Network Bootup is placed high, or first, in the Boot Order settings in the BIOS Setup.

I advise checking the BIOS Setup, and making sure that CD/DVD Drive is first - if it shows in the boot order at all, being external... and if it isn't in the boot order, that would explain why the discs are not booting up - and make sure that the Hard Disk or C: Hard Drive is second, and the Ethernet or Network bootup option is last. If that requires changing the Boot Order settings, make sure that you save the changes on exiting the BIOS Setup.

If even that does not get the discs booting up, then if USB bootup is an option in the Boot Order, put it first, and try to do partitioning or other operation via a bootable USB flash drive.

(I realize that you cannot easily install Windows from a USB drive.)

As for the external CD drive, tell me a bit more about it, please... maybe I could advise you how to get it to work for installing Windows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got the boot order as you asked. It still doesn't come up. It does begin to operate, then stops. I tried the USB bootup, too. Starts the external drive, operates for a few seconds longer, then stops. The external drive - matshitaujda740 dvd/cdrw
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds as if you will have to take it to a shop, or give up on it. I myself have no further ideas as to how to get it working by other means, I'm sorry to say.

If you would like, I can Opt Out, opening the case to other Experts at no extra charge and allowing you the opportunity to get a second opinion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it would be nice to get a second opinion, otherwise it was useless to reach out as I'd pretty much done everything you asked already. There would seem to be some some solution without having to take it to a shop. Please see if anyone else has a suggestion that might work. Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK I have Opted Out.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

The reason it is giving this message is its not able to communicate with the hard disk. The PXE check is to look for a network image which it does when it fails with the first boot device which is in your case the hard drive.

This problem will be caused by one of two causes. Either (and this is the most likely cause) the hard drive has failed, or the SATA port on the motherboard has failed.

To confirm this you are going to have to replace the hard drive, as this is the less expensive operation as opposed to switching the motherboard, and then see if it then starts up.

you can avoid a trip to the store and do this yourself if you have a hard drive spare, and can do so by following the film here which shows you how to remove the hard drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRl622WgaWI

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** can get into the BIOS and change boot orders, which I have done and the external drive does come on, but it doesn't get 'read' and shuts off after a few moments. So, from what I read from your response is that doesn't really matter if the onboard hard drive is bad?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

there is no onboard hard drive, what I am indicating is its either the hard drive or the sata port on the motherboard.

And if it cannot read from the hard drive its not going to do anything with the external drive unless its set up as bootable, but even thats not going to help as it can only use the external drive to install windows onto a hard drive, which in your case is not working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alrightythen... crap. :) I was thinking that might be the case. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

your welcome,

And please remember to rate my service via one of the stars at the top.

Thank you.