Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have a Samsung SSD 840 EVO I had been using as backup Mac

Customer Question

I have a Samsung SSD 840 EVO I had been using as backup for my Mac Laptop. Ran out of space, so put it aside. Now trying to use it as a back up for Windows XP machine and can not seem to get the computer to see it. ????
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. With the drive connected to your XP machine, check that it is identified in Disk Management. Click Start>>Run. In the Run box type: diskmgmt.msc and click OK

When the window opens you should see it listed. Your hard drive will be Disk 0 so the Samsung will be Disk 1 or above. You'll be able to tell from the size listed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but how do I make the computer see it to be able to store files on it? Rename it???? what???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mmmmm I see that it is blank in the file system column
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

You'll need to delete the partition on the drive and then reformat it NTFS so that Windows will recognize it.

This will delete any data on the drive.

Is there anything on it you want to save?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, already have another drive for the mac. so how do I delete the partition and reformat?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

In the Disk Management window, on the lower part of the screen where you see the column on the left that lists the Drive numbers.

Right click on the area to the right of your drive number and Delete Volume

The area in that space should now show as Unallocated

Once that's done right click on the Unallocated area and start the disk wizard

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sadly the right click box is grayed out except for help at the bottom, so I got nuthin
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

What's your phone number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Disk has been formatted for Windows. Thank you for being a JustAnswer customer.

Please take a moment before leaving to provide a service rating using the stars at the top of the page, it

would be much appreciated.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Just following up to check that the hard drive is still working for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Byron, we initially fixed my issue. The computer could see the external drive and I have used it to store data since.
It is now visible to my Mac as well.
HOWEVER, today it has gone AWOL again. My computer can not see it, but it can still be seen by my Mac.
Trying to see if another computer could see it....it can. So what is going on with the other computer such that it can not see it?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. When the drive is plugged in to the computer does it show up in Disk Management?