Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell, Acer, Asus, Samsung, HP, Compaq
23511658

XXXXXX. You helped me last month in setting up my PTZ camera

Customer Question

Hello, Jason. My name is***** helped me last month in setting up my PTZ camera and
BlueIris software. Since then that laptop died totally. It would not install Windows, BootMgr was
gone, and even the installation of a new 320GB Seagate SATA hard drive did not correct the issue. I
have purchased a new laptop running Win7 Pro, Intel i5 processor, and 8GB of RAM. This laptop will
be used solely as a monitor for the camera. I have installed the latest BlueIris software as well as
the CMS software which came with the camera. The camera is connected to my network and both
softwares recognize the camera and provide image. Here's my issues and why I am contacting you
again. CMS seems to me to be the better software. Primarily because it came with the camera from
the manufacturer. I can leave this software running 24/7 and it never drops signal. BlueIris drops
signal for a few seconds every 5 or 10 minutes. BlueIris has alarm sensitivity settings, and
recording settings I mostly understand. CMS confuses the heck out of me. CMS has better image
control settings like iris, focus, brightness and contrast. I use these when it gets dark. I have
purchased and installed a 96 LED IR emitter near the camera and it provides nearly excellent night
vision. BlueIris shows a ghostly "halo" in the center of the screen at night and I find no BI
settings to adjust this. I run BI during the day for it's motion detection and audible alarm, and
it's ease in viewing recorded video clips. But BI gives me frequent loss of signal errors and resets
every few minutes. At night I close BI, open CMS to make image adjustments and remove the "halo",
then close CMS and open BI. BI is then clear and the image is fine. Conclusion: CMS is the more
stable software, but I can not understand how to set alarm, detect motion, or view recorded video.
With BI I can adjust motion sensitivity, set audible alarm, and view clips, but it is unstable and
there do not seem to be sufficient image adjustment settings. Here is what I need from you, if you
can and are willing to help via remote access.
A. Stabilize the connection on BI and show me how to adjust image quality.
B. Adjust CMS settings for motion detection, audible alarm, and show me how to review captured
video.
C. Recommend, install, and connect a third software.
I have spent in nearly $100 at JustAnswer in the last month. Another expert worked long and hard on
this and I feel bad for him and have stopped pestering him for assistance. I am sure he did all he
could. I am not only near my frustration point, but am seeing this camera turn into a money pit.
Your name and this popup offer to chat was found today as I was again looking online for
information, support, or assistance. I live thirty miles from anything you can call a town, and
nearly eighty miles from a city where I could get in-home support. I will, again, pay the
JustAnswer fee and include a tip if you can finally and totally correct this issue, teach me the
minimum I need to know, and make this expensive camera work with this new laptop. It is a good
thing I am already bald or I'd be pulling out my hair over this. I am currently at my desktop PC
and will connect with my laptop when and if you are willing to help.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found an instruction manual for the CMS software which came with the camera, but as I am not as proficient as I should be in matters of network issues, I leave it to you to decipher. I hope it will help.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** see that you have been waiting for a specific expert, and you are free to wait for him for as long as you would like. But I saw that you had been waiting for a while and wanted to offer my assistance in case you needed immediate help. If you would prefer to wait for your preferred expert, I will opt out and try to forward it to him. In any case responding to this question has not affected his ability to contact you when he is online.