Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I dimmed my screen using F11 and now even though I use F12

Customer Question

I dimmed my screen using F11 and now even though I use F12 to brighten the display it is still very dim. How do I adjust screen brightness back to default levels?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do this please via Windows itself

To do this, Open the charms bar by pressing the windows key + C and click/tap on the Settings charm.

Click on the brightness icon and move the slider up (brighter) and down (dimmer) to adjust the screen brightness to what percentage level you like.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sliding the brightness bar has no effect on the brightness of the screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then another issue has occurred.

When did this problem start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just a few minutes ago. I was in full screen mode and was trying to return to normal by using the f11 key. it dimmed the screen so I tried function + f11 but may have hit f12 by accident
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, restart the computer and tell me if you can then alter it please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that with no change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way to return to default settings?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, we will undo any system corruption that has occurred. There is no default setting, but if the brightness via the instructions I gave you had no effect, it is a corruption issue.

Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type restore point. When the search results appear click on the Settings category.

Now click on the option labeled Create a restore point and you will be brought to the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel.

Click on the System Restore button and you will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore.

Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Use a date when this was working, so before yesterday

Then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore.

Click on the Finish button. System Restore will once again ask if you are sure you wish to continue. If you are sure, please click on the Yes button.

System Restore will now reboot your computer and begin the restore process. Please be patient as this can take quite some time.

Then tell me if the brightness is functioning correctly.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stupid question how do I get to start screen?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No problem, press the windows key to the left of ALT and it takes you there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where on the screen do I type the restore point?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

anywhere, just start typing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed restore point and it came back no results found for this search
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

This is windows 8 right as this is what is listed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 8.1
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes so the instructions would work... not sure why you are not getting it returned, but we can get to it another way

Press windows key + x and click on control panel

Click on System, then

the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel.

Else let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I go through those steps and reboot wont I lose our connection?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It will reboot for you, but you can just return to this web page and post the results please.