Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a L-70-A laptop A bios password is being requested. I

Customer Question

I have a L-70-A laptop
A bios password ***** ***** requested. I did not set one nor does anyone else in the house know how to do it.
How do i reset password ***** delete password *****?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To start with, I need to know how old your Toshiba is. How long have you had this laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 20 months. Serial Number 7D141565C Part # *****
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood. Since you are past 20 months old, the repair wont be covered under your warranty.

You can contact toshiba at this link to set up an authorized repair. https://www.toshibarepairservices.com/WebRma/Home.aspx?OpenAccess=

In laptops and desktops manufactured before 2005-2008.. Bios passwords used to be able to be cleared by removing batteries, or shorting out the motherboard using a jumper, or using 3rd party software programs.

Unfortunately, newer machines have the bios password ***** coded into the eeprom chip, which is soldered onto the motherboard. The only way to remove the bios password ***** ***** send the device into toshiba. The link above will allow you to arrange that repair.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not a fix, but thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

The only possible fix I could offer, would be to remove the hard drive.

If it still asks you for a password, its a bios password ***** were back to square one. However, if you remove the hard drive and it no longer asks for a password, then its actually an HDD password. And all you would need to do is get a new hard drive, and reinstall windows. Hard drives are significantly cheaper then what Toshiba is going to charge you to replace the mainboard. For instance , a low cost laptop HDD is this***** http://amzn.to/1KLYUSF

Most likely though, you have a BIOS password ***** due to a fault with the Motherboard, or through a failed bios update. If you had a HDD password, it would normally show HDD on the password ***** Its still worth a shot at removing the hard drive and powering up.. Since HDD passwords are much easier to bypass ( just replace the drive )

Good luck,

D.S