Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell, Acer, Asus, Samsung, HP, Compaq
23511658

My acer s3 notebook was going to blue screen and saying it

Customer Question

Hi there my acer s3 notebook was going to blue screen and saying it needs to be repaired on start up. When I tried entering BIOS it required a password ***** I have never set one up for this laptop so don't know what this could be. I have since taken the notebook to a "repair" guy who seems to have made the problem worse. Now when I start up it got straight to a black screen saying "no bootable device please restart" and the hard drive seems to be making a lot of noise. Please help!!!
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

In order to give you the best advise on the matter, I need a bit more general information:

- Can you please provide Full model number of your S3 Acer laptop.

- Back then you tried to enter the BIOS setup screen and the password ***** prompt at you, did you tried to just hit ENTER and see if you had access regardless?

- Do you know if you can access the SAFE MODE in order to try to back up your most needed files??

Please try to reply the best you can to this questions in order to give you the best guidance on what to do next....Thank You!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael, the full model is Acer Aspire S3-391. I tried pressing just 'Enter' under the BIOS pw screen- did not work! I have even tried several attempts at incorrect password ***** see if it will allow a reset but nothing. On start up none of the F button start up/commands work.

Based on what you describe, it sounds like the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. Hard drives, being mechanical, do tend to make a good deal of noise when they are failing - this could also cause the password ***** come up unexpectedly, since the BIOS password ***** ***** the hard drive password ***** hard drives can be locked. Obviously, you didn't lock it, but when they become corrupt in a certain way, it can cause them to lock. This lock is nearly impossible to overcome in this situation, except through a data recovery service (maybe - even this is questionable). At the very least, the hard drive will need to be replaced. I wish I had better news for you. I'm surprised that the computer repair person didn't mention this.