Sandy
Sandy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been fixing computers since last 7 years
33602187

I have a brand new laptop with windows 8.1 and have tried to

Customer Question

I have a brand new laptop with windows 8.1 and have tried to upgrade to windows 10 several times and it goes forever and then fails,, what am I doing wrong?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Hi,I'mSandy and I look forward to help you today with the best answerpossible.

I'm sorry about the issue.

I will work with you until it is fixed. Please remember to rate.

Please reply at the box given below and type your queries/result at the box given below.

Are you getting any error message while upgrading to Windows 10?

Is your internet connection working fine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my internet connections is fine and i have tried wireless and cable connected directly to modem no error messages
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it downloads forever to 98 % and then fails
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

I'm here. Please wait, I'm composing my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

A. First of all, please check the available space on the PC. Please delete some useless pictures, photos or documents and make some space available.

You'll need at least 8 GB of free space to upgrade to Windows 10. If your PC doesn't have enough space, here are a few things you can try:

• Remove files or apps you no longer need.

• Use Disk Cleanup to free up space.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/free-up-drive-space

B. If you have enough space, please run Windows updates first. Please go to control panel and click Windows updates and install all of the Windows update and then restart your computer and then try to download, install Windows 10 again.

If you face any issue, please let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no pics or documents on the computer. It is brand new. I did the updates there is more than enough space. Ill try again
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Please try again. If you get any error message, please let me know.

Also, please check system requirement for Windows 10:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

If you have any other query regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I uninstall windows 8? I just don't understand why it wont upgrade.
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Windows 8 is pre-installed when you purchased it new. Right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Did you install any program after you purchase Windows 8? When did you purchase this laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its still downloading and only at 28% so its no different than before...I have to go out so Ill try again later but this is very frustrating given I have done all that you suggested and I am not that inadequate when it comes to computers. something isnt right. I spent 700.00 on this laptop and I,m ready to throw it out the window...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not installed any other programs and I bought it a week ago and have been unable to use it as it is giving me issues
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

I understand how frustrating it is.

If this does not download this time, please go to control panel--->>Programs and Features and then remove your anti-virus program. That may be stopping this.

Please check all of the steps under this link once:

If your PC or tablet is currently running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you can check to see if it meets the requirements by using ‘Check my PC’ in the Get Windows 10 app. To open the Get Windows 10 app, click on the small Windows icon found at the right end of the taskbar.

Thank you, Sandy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sandy, I am so dirty u have been off the grid. My mom passed away a few weeks ago and I was busy taking care of her affairs. I did go ahead and uninstalled the anti virus programs. How long does it normally take to do the upgrade? It seems to be running. I did the updates at 4:25 and it is now 4:40 and its at 5%. I will also rate your service so you can get paid. I just hope to get this resolved.
Thanks Lori
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have checked.. Darn spell check. That should have said I'm so sorry not dirty..
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for your loss. Please reply back to me anytime and remember to rate. Thank you.