Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I currently have a Toshiba C55-A and have had it. I have

Customer Question

I currently have a Toshiba C55-A and have had it for years. I have worked on this computer for years with my current CaseCatalyst software for court reporters. In that particular software the F4 key is used often to provide Q and A for questions and answers or to put in new lines, new colloquey, so I am always hitting the F4 key with the L for new line, F4 for paragraphs, everything!!!
Now when I hit the F4 key it brings in a blue box from the right side of windows functions and won't let me hit the F4 key without that showing up instead of it asking me for the command after hitting the F4 key. This is problem is obviously the keyboard and it is not doing what I need it to do in the court reporting software!!!
Please help as I have struggled all day with this problem on my own and feel like throwing the computer out of the window. How can I wake up after five years of using this and now it's not compatible with my software?
Please, Please help as I have due dates on which these project are Due!!
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Please tell me the following:

1. Is this Toshiba laptop running on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10?
  2. When was the last time that you were able to use the court software without the F4 issue? Was it few days ago? Few weeks ago?
  3. Please try to notice how your F4 behaves. DO NOT open the court software yet, while you are on your desktop screen, press F4 key. Notice how it behaves. Now, open the court software, press the F4 key while inside that software. Is it behaving the same way like when you pressed F4 while you are in your desktop screen?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently using windows 8.1 (2013). This has never happened before at any time. And yes I did press the F4 key & the same thing happens out on the desktop as it does in my court software. The court program relies heavily on the F4 function to do certain things within the program. Yesterday I was having some problems but today ( Friday) it has total taken over the computer . Help! Thanks! Gina
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry regarding your persisting issues.

If your court software was working fine like few days ago and suddenly showed this annoying fault, then this can be caused by some changes made to your computer recently that triggered this problem. By "changes" it can be some software you installed or automatically installed by Windows, or those that were uninstalled or removed.

To fix this issue, I highly recommend doing system restore to UNDO those changes.

In Windows 8.1, here are the steps to do system restore :

1. Open your Control Panel
  2. In the search box shown at the top right corner, type "system restore".
  3. In the search results open or click on "Create a restore point" from the results list.
  4. Click System Restore . ..
  5. Confirm that the date and time are correct, and then click Finish. The date that you need to select here must be the date when your F4 key was still working.
  6. Then follow the on-screen procedures and allow the restore process to finish.
  7. After system restore, please test if F4 key now works in your court software.

I hope that helped. Please let me know your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

How is it going? Were you able to perform a system restore using the procedures I gave you?

Please let me know so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess