Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell, Acer, Asus, Samsung, HP, Compaq
23511658

My computer yurns on then turns off. the main screen stays

Customer Question

my computer yurns on then turns off. the main screen stays on for about 2 seconds and then off. I hit the power button and then hit any key, it turns on for about 2 seconds and then off.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

There is a standard set of troubleshooting steps you can take for this sort of problem. So let's go through those first and see if it helps.

If the battery is removable, remove the battery. Unplug the machine from AC power. Then press and hold the power button for at least 20 seconds. Then attach only AC power – of course of the battery is in removable it will still be in there and then try turning the system on. If it doesn't come up after this then the hardware failure is most likely with the motherboard or the hard drive but we were testing with that procedure was whether or not the problem is with the power supply or with the battery. The battery's most common problem and once they fail sometimes the systems cannot run even if they're plugged in as long as the battery is in.