jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

My wife bought a used dell laptop and didn't get the

Customer Question

My wife bought a used dell laptop and didn`t get the password ***** get into it. I told her it was a paper weight then. Anyway to get in and install a new password?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, thanks for your question. There a couple possibilities -- first, is this the windows password ***** don't have? As in, the computer boots to windows, and asks for a username and/or password, which you don't have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew that. I didn't need to waste 35 dollars for that answer. What I asked was a way to get around the password ***** and put in a new pass word.
Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for any confusion, I was simply asking for clarification on the situation... so if my assessment above is correct, we'll continue and I can offer a few suggestions

Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

Does the computer allow you to type in a username, or does is show "administrator" as one of the users to click on?

Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

I'll go ahead and provide some more info while I wait for your reply in an effort to help you quicker.

If you DO have the option to type "administrator" as the user name, or click on "administrator" -- then you can try leaving the password ***** blank, and pressing enter or the little arrow to log in with a blank password. Its unlikely this will work, but it is worth a try.

Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

If that doesn't work, then the next option will be to use the System Recovery partition, if there is one, to re-install windows and get you a factory fresh image. This is ideal, but the feature varies by model. Some computers have it built into the hard drive, and someone will provide a set of CDs/DVDs, and some don't have either. If it DOES, then you want to boot to that recovery partition, and use it to reinstall windows. If it has it, there will be a recovery or "boot options" keypress when the computer first comes on. If you can provide the model number of your laptop, I can assist in finding out if it has recovery and the keypress to access.

If your computer does NOT have recovery, then you'll actually have to use a password ***** to erase/clear the password. This requires creating a bootable CD, booting your machine to that CD, and using it to clear out the administrator password, and enable the administrator account. The best tool for this in my experience is the "Offline NT Password *****". Here's a great article about it, and provides a great tutorial on step-by-step procedure with screen shots of the steps.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/ontpre-screenshot-guide.htm

Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know… Just reply here at any time, even after rating.

Thank you and have a great day!

__________________________________________________________

Please give me a positive rating for my service if I have helped you today.