Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

When I turn on my Toshiba Satellite C55 laptop, it has the

Customer Question

When I turn on my Toshiba Satellite C55 laptop, it has the following message, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." I am unable to get rid of message or restart the laptop. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your laptop issues. First, it appears that this is a hardware issue specifically the hard disk drive. The error message indicates that it is not able to locate a bootable drive to boot into Windows.

However, if your hard disk drive is not dead or faulty, then it could be the settings in your BIOS.

Please try to do the following:

1. Turn off the laptop
  2. After 3 minutes to cool it off, turn it back ON.
  3. As your laptop boots, press and keep tapping on F8 key and see if you get the prompt that asks for your bootable drive.
  4. If you are prompted, please use the arrow key to move or select the HDD or SSD in the list.
  5. When HDD or SSD is properly selected, press Enter key and test if it boots to Windows this time.

Please let me know your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess