Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

Ins Tried to install Windows 10 from a download to a laptop

Customer Question

Ins
Tried to install Windows 10 from a download to a laptop running WIN8.1 AND THE COMPUTER CRASHED WHEN THE CONFIG STAGE STARTED. NOW IT WILL NOT BOOT. I AM TRAVELING AND
DO NOT HAVE ANY RECOVERY DISKS WITH
ME. IS THERE A WAY TO START THE LAPTOP WITHOUT DISKS?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

There is most likely a recovery partition hidden on the hard drive. What is the make and model of your laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Asus ul80v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have meetings vey shortly and need to start on the cure!!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Restart your computer then press the ‘F2’ key once the ASUS logo appears on the screen. You should see the System Information window of the BIOS setup utility with the current settings. Keep searching the settings until you get the option ‘Repair your computer’. Then select the ‘Repair’ option and click ‘Ok’ to continue with the repair process. Select the user name and password ***** you to log in on the following screen. Make sure your user account on has administrative rights. Then, type the password, or leave it blank and click ‘Ok’ to continue. Select the option, ‘ASUS Factory Image Restore’ at the bottom of that screen to repair your ASUS and get back to the original state.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Keep in mind this will most likely wipe your current files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No such category about repair. Headings are Main Advanced Security Boot Exit. You say that current files will be erased. Are these my data files that have been backed?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Where have you backed them up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To a thumb drive
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

As long as they are backed elsewhere you are fine. Reboot again only this time try the F9 key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This brought me to the recovery wizard but sys that all files on the hard disk partitions will be lost. Des this include Microsoft Office and Quicken programs?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What this will do is take you back to the original condition your laptop was in when you took it out of the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any way to get to safe mode and undo the aborted update? If In wait until I return to m office in several weeks, will the recovery disks preserve all my programs and data?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I doubt you will be able to access safe mode. The recovery discs should give you everything you originally had when you purchased it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is that the programs I bought cannot be installed until I return. How's safe mode accessed?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Since you installed Quicken, if you haven't backed that up you will lose the data. The recovery discs will re-install all of your programs and basically start you over. You can try safe mode by restarting, holding down the shift key while continually tapping the F8 key.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Another alternative is to have someone make you a system repair disc from another Windows 8.1 computer and boot from that. You would then be able to access safe mode from there.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You can also download the Windows 10 iso file and burn it to a DVD and attempt to re-install it?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

How's it going?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'll be away for a few minutes but will respond back as soon as I can.