Shefin, Laptop Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as Tech support specialist with a world famous computer manufacturer
15907069

My laptop shuts off sometimes while using it. It is a HP

Customer Question

My laptop shuts off sometimes while using it. It is a HP Pavilion DV6000, 7 year old. The battery indicator on the screen shows empty and says plugged in, not charging. Shouldn't it run on AC power alone. The battery is original. What could the problem be?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Remove all external devices, CDs, AC Adapter and battery from the computer. Keep the AC Adapter and battery unplugged.
Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)
Plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when it is plugged in).
Normally power on the notebook. Check if the computer works fine without the battery and only with the Adapter.

Then, remove the Adapter and insert the battery only. Check if the computer works fine on battery only.

Then, connect both Adapter and battery, but do not turn the computer ON by pressing the power button. Check if the Adapter charges the battery, while the computer is off.

Please let me know the exact response.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My laptop still runs with no battery in it. It doesn't do anything on just the battery. I figured the battery is dead but my problem is that the computer shuts off every no and again while using it. I don't want to put a new battery in it and still have the prob

Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

It seems that the issue is with the battery and you have to replace it with a new one in order to get it resolved.

Thank you.

S H E F I N