IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My Win XP laptop insists on using an old password even

Customer Question

My Win XP laptop insists on using an old password ***** though I have deleted the password ***** entered the new one. How do I eliminate the old password *****?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

To confirm, you are referring to a password ***** your Wi-Fi network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? Anyone there?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please wait while I write you the instructions.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I suggest deleting the current Wi-Fi profile on your computer. That will remove any saved settings, including the old password.
To do that, follow these instructions:
1. Click the Windows Start button and then the Control Panel
2. In the Control Panel window, click the Network Connections (or you may need to click on Network and Internet Connections first and then on Network Connections)
3. Locate your Wi-Fi network adapter. It should be named "Wireless Network Connection"
4. Right-click it and select Properties
5. Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab
6. Select your Wi-Fi network name (profile) and click the Remove button. Confirm if asked
7. Click OK and close the window
8. Right-click the Wi-Fi network adapter again and select "View Available Wireless Networks"
9. Click on your Wi-Fi network and enter the new password ***** you should be connected
Let me know if you require further assistance.
Regards,
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with the stars).
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did exactly what you told me to do, but the problem remains. I suggest that you telephone me with additional suggestions.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
Please tell me what the message says once you type the WiFi password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The laptop connects when the correct password ***** ***** The problem is that the computer remembers a wrong password ***** so we have to open the wi-fi, delete the wrong password ***** insert the correct one every time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have gone to the wi-fi connection and changed the property to the correct password, but it still remembers wrong.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

How do you know it remembers the wrong password? Does it tell you that by an error message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When Verizon was helping me set up the wi-fi connection they first had me enter an 8 character password. Then they discovered that it needed to be 13 characters. When I try to connect, the 8 character password ***** ***** I have to replace it with the longer password.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I see.

Does the problem happen only for that computer, or you experienced problems for other computers / devices as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just this one. It runs WIN XP
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Please download a program named WirelessKeyView and run it on your Windows XP computer. It will display the saved Wi-Fi password. Check if it is the one you had typed or it is something else.

You can download it on this link:

http://www.nirsoft.net/toolsdownload/wirelesskeyview.zip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wireless key view does not work with WIN XP
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Do you get an error message?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Oh, I see the error message. It looks like there is a problem with this version of WirelessKeyView.

Please download a different version on this link:

http://tinyurl.com/prlf7uk

I tested that one and it works on Windows XP.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did this. The result does not show the key. This is what it showed.
f8e9032e1aba WPA-PSK b2f74a38f9bbd0d9472b0e2f9fa4bc53035407b320211cbec7b7615f256c7b86 Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection {54D14DC5-92DD-424E-9BE2-C4556B3AFE24}
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it doesn't look like it is a valid wireless network password (key).

Are you able to change the current network password ***** your router and then check if the Windows XP computer will remember the new password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hate to do that since three other computers are working well with the router -- which is supplied by Verizon. Not sure I would know how to change the router password.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK, you can do as last resort.

Do you use the built-in Windows XP wireless connection manager to scan and connect to wireless networks, or you use a program that came with the wireless network adapter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The built in one
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Are you able to start a program that came with the wireless network adapter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got out the instructions that came with the router and verified that the WPS is enabled. Got a screen that shows all the computers and devices on the network.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

The problem seems to be with the Windows XP wireless network settings since it does not save the correct password.

Can you use a program that came with the wireless network drivers to scan and connect to your wireless network?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that what I will have to do is access the Verizon Management Console (now that I know how) the next time this computer comes up with the wrong password. It looks as if there are tools there to correct problems. I won't know if that works until later, probably not today. Thanks.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK, you can try with that and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot that I would have to get on line to access the Verizon WPS site, so of course I had to use the correct password. Would it work the next time if I access Verizon from a different computer and see if I can correct the XP from there?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You can do it on your Windows XP computer since you should be able to connect the first time. The problem appears when connecting the second time since the incorrect password ***** been saved.

However, if that doesn't work, use another computer and then type the new password ***** your Windows XP computer. Make sure to delete the saved Wi-Fi profile first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally have time to work on this again. This computer problem has NOT been solved.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

Since the problem seems to still be there, I suggest changing the wireless network password ***** your Verizon router to something else. You can then connect and check if the new password ***** be properly saved on your Windows XP computer.

In case you don't know how to change the wireless network password, let me know the make and model of the Verizon router you have and I will provide the instructions for you.