Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have tried several times to arrange a download of Windows

Customer Question

I have tried several times to arrange a download of Windows 10 for my laptop. Each time I get a "please wait" screen. On one occasion I let this screen run for more than 14 hours and nothing happened. I have Windows 7 professional on the 2 year old Dell Latitude.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Its probably a good thing that your Windows 10 install did not proceed. Its getting stuck on Please wait for so long, because theres something preventing the install from triggering.

Lets find out whats wrong and fix it. Download and run this system readiness update tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Its a very large tool, over 500 megabytes.. So its a long download. Once its complete. Open and run that tool.

Let it repair anything it wants to repair, and take note of what it says. If it tells you at the end t hat you are ready for updates.

We can next clear out your windows update folder, and then force windows 10 to install. So start with the tool above, download it, run it.

Let me know if you run into any issues and then we will continue from there.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.