Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

How do I bypass HP 6735b Bios password. I upgraded bios now

Customer Question

how do I bypass HP 6735b Bios password. I upgraded bios now I cannot get beyond bios password ***** Tried pulling battery, etc. bur informed the bios cannot be reset since it is in the eprom.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Is your BIOS originally password-protected when you upgrade? Annd after the password, your known password ***** ***** longer accepted?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no password ***** I used fingerprint ID only
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about your issues. In the password ***** please try to enter a wrong or random password ***** 3 times in a row. Did your system display a hash code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. "Authentification Failed System Locked
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, I cannot assist you on this since your computer is not showing any hash could which could be used to calculate your master password. Let me opt out so that my fellow experts can assist you further.

You will be notified when another expert joins you here.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

whoever informed you that the CMOS / Bios password ***** be cleared for that model, is incorrect.

Please see page 44 in this service manual from HP. http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c02030223-1.pdf

Follow those steps precisely, and you should be able to clear t he password.

If these steps dont work, then its not a BIOS password ***** rather a Drive Guard password ***** ( for the hard drive )

If thats the case, then you just need to replace the hard drive and t hen reinstall windows on the new drive. You can order a hard drive here.

http://amzn.to/1L69KlW

Thats the lowest cost for a laptop hard drive over 300 gigabytes brand new, that Ive ever seen.

If you have further questions or concerns, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP will not permit me access to service manual. Error Message "HTTP 403 forbidden"
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

I have manually uploaded the pdf document to this page http://wikisend.com/download/938772/emr_na-c02030223-1.pdf

Once downloaded, its page 44 that shows the steps needed.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Page 44 in the Manual gave instructions. Followed exactly. Message read "System Bios Recovery has occurred" "Bios Recovery 500" and the goes back to Bios Password ***** same as before.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thats progress.

Lets repeat the process a few times. If the bios recovery doesnt work.

That tells us you need to replace the cmos / bios battery itself..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bios recovery appeared on previous attempt to override BIOS lock. Battery is new. CMOS is a repair?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying the small CMOS coin cell battery is brand new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first thing I did when I had the problem was to change the battery. Just put in another new battery with the same results. "Bios Recovery 500"
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

After Bios Recovery 500.. Its still asking for a password.

Question, are you 100% certain its a bios password. What happens if you remove the hard drive. Leave it out.

Then turn the machine off, then back on. Does it still ask for a password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Screen reads:
User ID 6735b
Domain 6735b-PC
Select Token
Password
Fingerprint
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and you used to sign in with a finger print? So its not a bios password. Its a hard drive password ***** got you locked out.

If you replace the hard drive, and then install windows. You will be back in business. You can get a 750 Gigabyte hard drive here at a discount ( compared to best buy or walmart ) http://amzn.to/1TvWGLm Or, you can get a much smaller hard drive here for half the cost http://amzn.to/1h6gMdV

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get past the password ***** Can't get into startup Can't boot from optical drive. The password ***** has a HP logo. Changed Hard drive with same results.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

With the hard drive removed.. ( all hard drives )

Can you boot into the bios now? Have you tried the f1 , f2, escape, & delete keys at post?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System information ROM 68GTT ver. F.20
No Hard drive installed
In system Diagnosis (F2)
Startup Test Failed
Failed memory address =0x00000000Pattern expected=0x00000000Pattern read=0x00000000
Memory Check (f3) PassedWill not let me into BIOS Setup (F10)
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Right.. But its not asking you for any passwords.. Correct?

If it was a BIOS password. It would ask for the password ***** soon as the computer turns on, every time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is exactly what happens. The BIOS recovery screen comes up then instructs to hit Enter to complete startup and goes to screen that requests password ***** finger print
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understand that if its requesting a fingerprint.. Thats not a bios password.

( and to be clear.. its doing that with all hard drives removed ) ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No hard drive in laptop. It won't let me in to bios setup at all. If I don't hit ESC it goes into password/Fingerprint screen. Since it is a HP screen I am still assuming it is bios/cmos. I had read the Bios is stored in eprom.