Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

We have an Asus X55U laptop with a password prompt

Customer Question

We have an Asus X55U laptop with a password ***** immediately at splash screen when booting up. Unable to access Bios. Windows 8 installed. Is it possible to unlock ourselves?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Is this password ***** asking for a BIOS password? Or an HDD password?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't say. It's a black screen with a blue box, grey text field with white lettering that says "Enter Password"
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about the persisting issues. Based on your description, it is a BIOS or HDD password ***** definitely not a Windows password. Do you agree?

Did you access the BIOS before and set any password ***** that you forgot later?

Now, please try entering any random password ***** 3 times in a row and then tell me if your system will show you a hash or error code on screen.

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just "appeared". After a few dozen "invalid password"s it goes to a black screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would agree this is not a Windows issue.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there is no way to unlock your computer since your system does not provide a hash code after entering a random password ***** times in a row. A master password ***** be generated for this and your only option is to send or bring the computer to the nearest Asus Service center. They have the legitimate tool to override or clear the password ***** damaging your computer.

Have you tried contacting Asus or the store where you bought this computer regarding this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet, it's a little after hours. Thanks for your time, we will go to them.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing. Honestly, there are several online services that can calculate or generate master passwords for laptops and desktops for a minimal fee. However, these online services require some so-called hash tags or error codes in order to generate such master passwords. These hash tags or error codes appear when you enter a wrong password ***** times in a row.

Here are some of the online service providers of master passwords:

1. http://bioshelper.com/
  2. http://biospassword.eu/

But since you mentioned that this password ***** just "appeared" without you entering or setting a password ***** your BIOS, then this can be a BIOS issue that can be overridden by the manufacturer only since they have the legitimate tool to do this without damaging your laptop.

I hope that helped.

At this point you have placed a deposit. I only receive credit for my time and expertise on the matter if you rate positively (3 to 5 stars/faces).

It is up to you if you wish to credit me for my help and assistance or not. Your deposit if refundable should you choose you do not want to pay. Please do not rate me negatively if you want to process a refund. You can leave my service unrated.

Here is the information on refunding:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Again I am sorry I cannot assist you in unlocking the computer since only Asus and its accredited service center has the legitimate tool to clear or override the password ***** damaging your computer.

I hope I at least shed some light on the situation a bit for you and saved you some time.

Thanks,
Jess