IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have an Acre Aspire R7 seldom used and as a result had

Customer Question

I have an Acre Aspire R7 seldom used and as a result had forgotten the password. The system is now locked and will not premit reboot from any other device. I did not receive any software media and there is no backup data media. Now, no matter what I do, I receive the message that an error has occurred: File BCD, Error code 0xc000000d ... etc.
Well, I have tried a number of alternatives including Windows 8 startup download (from another computer) and there is no way I get past the error message above. Please advise what I might be able to do with this device to avoid using it as a door stop.
Thank you.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please restart the laptop and keep pressing the F2 key.
Let me know if it will take you to the BIOS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please hold off on charging me yet. I have already done that and gotten into the bios - this is where I modified the boot priority order. However, I am there now.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry about the charges. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive here, you will get a full refund.
Please tell me what you see in the Boot tab.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the boot priority order is as follows: Windows Boot Manager, HDD0, HDD1, ATAPI CDRO, USB FDD, Nwtwork Boot-1PV4, USB HDD, USB CDROM, Network Boot-IPV6.
I will need to step away from my system for about 1 hour in aobut 10 min.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boot Mode UEFI
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. If you haven't already, please reset the BIOS settings to default settings.

To do that, press the F9 key while you are in the BIOS. Confirm by pressing Y when asked.

After that, press the F10 key. Confirm by pressing Y when asked.

The laptop will then restart. Check if there are any changes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done all this, before but just did it again. There is no change in the system response "Recovery" "BCD is missing ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotta go now. Be back in 45min to 1 hour. Thanks.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK, see you later.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Since the Acer Aspire R7 doesn't have an optical drive, you can either get an external one, or use a bootable USB drive to load Windows 8 repair or installation media.

I see you mentioned creating a bootable Windows 8 USB thumb drive. Have you tested it on another computer to see if it is really working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tested it but I have also not been able to confirm that the boot priority is actually going to the USB drive. I do not want to upgrade the operating system on this device because I do not have a license for it. I however have all the info for the license on the Acer. So how can I confirm that the USB is recognized in the boot sequence? Or how do you suggest I confirm that I actually downloaded Windows 8 onto the USB drive?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked and the downloaded file is 5.43 MB and is entitled Windows8-setup.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I suggest testing the USB thumb drive on another computer. Change the boot sequence there and see if that computer will boot from the USB thumb drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will sign off this computer and give it a shot.
I should be back shortly.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Sure, no problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Now I have two laptops down. Apparently the started to work and clobbered startup files on the vista laptop. First I need you to get my vista back.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

So you couldn't test the USB thumb drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My testing the sub is what caused the file corruption of the vista system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the process of trying to restore vista sys files.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Trying to boot from the USB thumb drive cannot crash Windows Vista. Something else happened that caused that problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disagree. It appears that booting from the USB (and that is all I did) corrupted Vista sys files. I recommend you not suggest that again. I got my vista back but not without a little stress. So my findings are that the USB has a setup for win 8 but that the Acer is refusing to boot from the uSB drive. Can you check on how to ensure that the USB is being recognized by the Acer? I will check on your response tomorrow. Thanks.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Do you have another computer where you can test booting from that USB thumb drive?

It is possible that you had already set booting from USB in the Boot tab, but the USB thumb drive is not bootable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I;ve been out of touch for a while. However, I purchased a dvd/cd rw device and attempted to upload Win 8.1. Well, the system did not recognize the drive. So, I'm still not working.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
Is the DVD/CD drive recognized on another computer when you connect it there?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you still require assistance with this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a new drive and came with configure software so testing it on another sys would of no value. The prob sys will not boot from any periph port. Any other ideas?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
Something seems to be wrong with the laptop since it won't boot from any other device.
Since it is a slim model, so you cannot get to the laptop battery easily. The Aspire R7 has a pinhole button to reset the system when it no longer responds. The pinhole is located on the bottom of the laptop. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for 4 seconds to reset the laptop.
After that, power it back on and go to the BIOS and test with different Boot priority while the CD/DVD drive is connected. You can unplug the USB thumb drive.
Set "USB CDROM" at the top of the Boot priority list and everything with the USB in its name below it. Save the changes by pressing the F10 key.
Check if it will now boot from the disc.
If not, go back to the BIOS and test with several different Boot priority combinations.
Let me know if one worked.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to check if you were able to boot from the CD/DVD drive.