Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

I have a 2009ish HP DV7 that was giving me a hard disk read

Customer Question

I have a 2009ish HP DV7 that was giving me a hard disk read error. My initial troubleshooting step was to replace the hard drive; however, when I put the new hard drive in and hit the power this computer hits a halt somewhere at the UEFI/BIOS handing it off to the hard drive.
I suspect this is the moment of the halt because if I hit ESC before the splash screen I am able to access Setup options. Unfortunately, with the hard disk installed it still halts here.
I only see the HP splash screen, and it does not proceed to say "No operating system installed"
This only occurs when the HDD is plugged in to the computer. When the hard disk is not plugged in I am able to freely access the UEFI/BIOS settings, and adjust/save any options in the UEFI/BIOS.
Any ideas?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What was the original hard drive, and what is the replacement?
In terms of maker and model #, for each one.

There may be a compatibility issue that requires a BIOS setting be changed, perhaps.

Or you may have a defective replacement hard drive... or a defective computer in the drive controller part. Roughly in that order.

A strongly indicative thing, would be if you put the former hard drive in another computer, and it worked fine. That would indicate the hard drive not the problem, but the controller part of the main board in the computer. (Unless, of course, the BIOS settings were wrong for the old disk, as well as the new disk. To cover that possibility, I must ask:
What are the settings in the BIOS Setup, for the hard disk? (as well as the maker and model #s of the old and the new hard disk.)