Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  CISCO certified computer and networking expert
30970729

I have the fault Default boot device missing or boot

Customer Question

hello I have the fault Default boot device missing or boot failed...
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

You will need to set the new SSD drive as the default boot device.

To do this, restart the laptop and quickly press the key ‘F2’ to go to the Windows boot menu.
Select the boot option and then choose the SSD from the Boot Options screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,
Thanks I followed your advice and I did get in the BIOS boot menu and I see my SSD is now set as boot device, however whenever I start it still gives me the same error: "Default boot device missing or boot failed... "When I ok the error I get into a screen called 'boot manager' with a 'boot option menu' but that menu is empty. When I Esc out of that I get to a black screen with the error "No Bootable device..." . I did make a recovery USB from another Windows 8.1 desktop. When I boot using that stick and after having gone through selecting a keyboard I get 3 options on the first (PC Renewal) I get as fault that the disk is locked, I need to unlock and try again.Trying the 2nd option factory settings I get the fault that the disk is missing a partition.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
What migration method did you use?
Normally the OS will need to be reinstalled, but you can get around that using the following procedure:
http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I notice your rating for my service has not gone through...
Do you need any further assistance?