Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

My Lenovo T430 began operating very slowly about a week or

Customer Question

My Lenovo T430 began operating very slowly about a week or so ago. Initial boot up used to be quite rapid but now takes about 8 minutes with a long delay from initial start up until the login screen finally appears.
Operations are also slow once the machine has booted up. Often I am getting a "Not Responding" alert when using Microsoft Office products and online operations are also very slow.
In addition, some time ago I was not able to upload an update to the Lenovo Solution Center. Most recently, using LapLink to copy files to my outboard hard drive I was denied access to some files, which never has happened in the past.
Any ideas?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

This could be a problem with the hard disk.
Please follow these instructions to check your hard disk for errors and automatically fix them if found.
1. Double-click the Computer icon to see all your drives (C:, D:, etc)
2. Locate your first disk (C:), right-click it and select Properties
3. Click on the Tools tab and under Error-checking section, click the Check now... button
4. There check both check-boxes and click Start
6. Repeat the procedure for other drives, for example D:, E: etc (if you have several disk drives)
7. After that, restart your computer and the selected drives will be checked for errors prior starting Windows again. Just don't press anything and leave the process to finish. It could take up to 20 minutes.
When it is done, it will start Windows. Check if there are any changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Miro,I tried the disk checks, but no faults were found and the problem remains. Do you have some more suggestions?Richard
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Richard!
I still think something is not quite right with the hard disk drive since the laptop suddenly started to operate slowly.
If the disk check in Windows didn't make any difference, I suggest taking the hard disk out, blowing the dust out, cleaning the connectors and re-connecting it.
You can watch this video to see where the hard disk drive is located on Lenovo T430:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EtLMEZex70
So, make sure to blow the dust out and clean the hard disk drive connectors from dust or dirt (if found). After that, re-connect the hard disk drive, put everything back and start the computer.
Let me know if there are any changes after doing that.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance.
Have you followed the instructions I sent you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still have the same issue. I'm wondering if it could be some sort of virus that Norton has missed.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
If there is a virus or any other program causing the issue, then it must have added itself into the startup section so that it can automatically start every time you power on the computer.
For that reason, you can disable all startup services and programs to do a clean boot.
Here is how to do that:
1. Press the Windows logo key and the R key simultaneously to bring up the Run box
2. There type msconfig and press Enter
3. System Configuration window will open. Click on the Services tab
4. There click the "Hide all Microsoft services check-box"
5. Click the Disable All button
6. Now click the Startup tab
7. Click the Disable All button
8. Click OK and then click the Restart button
Your computer will restart. Now observe if there any changes with the boot time the speed of Windows.
Note that you usual startup programs will not automatically start, so you will need to manually start them.
Let me know the results.