Sandy
Sandy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been fixing computers since last 7 years
33602187

In Dec 2014 I bought my son a Toshiba Satellite L50- in

Customer Question

Good Afternoon
In Dec 2014 I bought my son a Toshiba Satellite L50-B in December 2014 with Windows 8 installed for school and gaming time.
A couple of days ago he upgradeed to windows 10. after working ok for a couple of days last night it went a bit crazy (didnt see it so not sure what happened exactly) and now it does not boot up on power on switch but gives this message:
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.59 (1/3/14)
PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F:exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert bootdisk and press any key
I don't have a Win 10 bootdisc/usb stick etc. When i used aWin 7 boot disk, for another laptop in the Satillite laptop it ends up going to a blank black screen with only mouse arrow showing. It moves around but nothing else happens.
I took it back to the local branch of Dick Smith Electronics where I bought it from. One of their guys had a look quickly but he seemed to think it was more likely to besoftware rather than hard drive failure.
Can you please help me out with this?
Cheers
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Hi,I am Sandy and I look forward to help you today with the best answer possible.

Please follow the steps given here:

Step A: Please disconnect any of the hardware device like printer, scanner, camera, USB stick connected to laptop.

Step B: Turn off the laptop
Disconnect the power cord.
Now unplug the battery. You can turn it over to remove the battery.
Now hold down the power button on the laptop for 1 minute.
Now, connect only power cord only and restart it and tell me the output.

Step C:

First of all, please make hard disk as the first boot device on your computer.
Please turn off your computer.
As soon as you restart your computer, please start tapping (hitting up and down F2 key, if this does not work, please use F1 or Del or Delete key)
YOu will enter the Bios.
choose Boot sequence by using up and down arrow key and make hard disk as the first boot devices.
Please save these changes and restart your computer.

Step D: If not fixed:

Please go to BIOS as under:

Please turn off your computer.
As soon as you restart your computer, please start tapping (hitting up and down F2 key, if this does not work, please use F1 or Del or Delete key or F10 key)

Hit F5(or F9) to load defaults and Save the changes and restart the computer.

Step E: If not fixed:

Re-seat the hard drive, Take it out and put it back.

Step F: If not fixed:

Please reinstall Windows 8 and do not install Windows 10. it is new and under testing phase.

Keep me posted.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.