Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

A friend gave me an old Gateway laptop Model 6020GZ. It appears

Customer Question

A friend gave me an old Gateway laptop Model 6020GZ. It appears that Linux was previously installed on it. When I try to install Windows 7 on it I am asked from the drivers. All the drivers I find on the internet are zip files. When I try to unzip them to a CD so my installation can install them, the message I keep getting is that the drivers are not in that location.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. What you need to do first is clean the drive and prepare it to install windows. It currently has linux. We need to get rid of that. Follow this guide to do so http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91339-ssd-hdd-optimize-windows-reinstallation.html Then, you need to clean install from the windows 7 install disk. As shown on this page. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html?ltr=C If you follow those steps. Then once you sign into windows. You will be able to use the zip files you mentioned and open and install them inside windows directly. If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide an Internet location where I can download the drivers directly in a non-zip file?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I cannot. I checked the gateway site. And all the 64 and 32 bit downloads it offers for that model, windows xp. ( which is the newest version of windows that model of gateway has drivers for ) And all the files are zip files. However, you can turn zip files into regular files. For instance.. If we download the 64 bit VGA file.. ( for graphics) http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_6.14.10.3856_XPx86XPx64_A.zip?acerid=634164908906420105&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=6000%20SERIES&Step3=6020&OS=X05&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G Once downloaded.. locate this folder inside the zip file. VGA_Intel_6.14.10.3856_XPx86x64 Right click that folder, click copy. Then go to your desktop background and click paste. Then, the folder on the desktop background will be an unzipped copy. To install the VGA file ( on the gateway, once windows is installed ) You would open this folder VGA_Intel_6.14.10.3856_XPx86x64 and locate the 64 64 "setup" application. Double click that setup application, and it will install the drive. The same can be done for the other zip files.. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to go out of town for a few days. I will try again to take your advice this Friday and then will rate your service. Question: If I create a folder on my hard drive of my working desktop computer and transfer all the driver zip files there and then unzip them before transferring to a CD, will the Windows 7 installation on the laptop find the driver files? This has been the problem before I contacted you, Windows 7 can't find the system driver files from the CD I created.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7 should be installing all the files it needs, during the install. if its not installing everything it needs during the install. There is something wrong with the installation disk you are using. Are you using a recovery disk? Or an actual WIndows 7 install disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin: I very frustrated with this installation process. Yes, I have an original Windows 7 Update disk that I purchased way back. Are the drivers that I downloaded from the Internet for Win XP only? The only driver that is recognized during the installation process in a Broadcom Network driver that Win 7 says is not compatible. At this point I am sorry I every started this process and paid $36 for nothing!! I hard drive on the laptop has no disk partition and no drivers. Is there anything you can do or should I trash the laptop?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Tech issues can be frustrating. and maybe we are having a miscommunication. Whether or not you have a single driver for the machine. Windows 7 should install on the hard drive.. Once that install is complete, then we would move the files over that you downloaded and attempt to install them. After Windows 7 is installed and running. Since it seems were having communication issues. I need to know. Do you already have windows 7 installed. Or, is it failing during the install process, and if its failing. I need to know specifically word for word what error message it is giving y ou and what driver or file it says it is missing. If you dont want to continue with this process, I can send you the refund link.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin: Yes, please cancel my account and refund the $36. Thank you for your efforts.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I cannot refund the money or cancel your account, we as technicians do not have control over your accounts. You can request a refund using the link below. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund