IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Custom made screensaver runs fine on my laptop in Windows 7

Customer Question

custom made screensaver runs fine on my laptop in Windows 7 Home Premium but when I take to the office and run the .exe file all seems fine except the looped animation just stops after 3 loops? Any ideas? We run Windows 7 Enterprise on a network at the office...
Category: Laptop
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
can you please explain a bit more in detail about the loop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a .scr file effectively
it runs as planned outside of a networked environment on Windows 7 Home Premium
when loaded on a networked machine running Windows 7 Enterprise it fails after the third transition.a loop is simply the instruction in the file for it to play again as soon as it reaches the end state, so that in effect there is no end state.
what could possibly be causing the different performance on the two different machines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the file was loaded as a screensaver onto the computer in both cases using a .exe fileis it a network issue?
Please let me understand this, was the screensaver developed by your or someone has created it from the scratch or its downloaded from the internet.
If this has been developed then let me know on which software was it created for example flash etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The animation was created in After Effects and exported as a Flash file. This was then converted to a .exe file so that it could be directly installed on office computer. We had previously tried a stand alone .scr file but this was not able to be installed on the office computer.The .exe file worked .. to a point. In that it installed but does not run beyond the third loop. As mentioned previously the animation is set to loop continuously until manual interrupted.The .exe file is approx 16MB
i would suggest you to upgrade and install the lastest version of flashplayer on the office computer and make sure it has the latest version of silverlight installed on the computer.
let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,
We made sure that we had lastest version of flash and silverlight. Though production notes that whilst flash is used to create the animation it should not be required for viewing as the file is exported to an .scr file.We also did a test with the file size drastically reduced under 5MB as the previous screensaver which was created a few years ago and was same format was less than 5MB. The screensaver still not running properly.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please tell me how many computers you have tested the screensaver on.
Also, what happened when you attempted to use .scr file instead of .exe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi.
Re Also, what happened when you attempted to use .scr file instead of .exe? This is unclear as we were asked to provide a compiled .exe file rather than the .scr file we originally produced as that is what we had running originally.We have now tested in a lab environment of 5 machines with inconsistent FAIL results. This has been on a mix of desktop PCs and laptops all running in same OS environment both connected to network (LAN/WLAN) and disconnected from network. Have also tested in foreign environment (Windows 10) with inconclusive result.Results range from;
• File initiates and runs correctly but only loops three times and then fails. Stalls without affecting other computer functionality.
• File initiates and runs correctly but only loops once and then stops. Stalls without affecting other computer functionality.
• File initiates but does not run. Black screen. No affect on other computer functionality
• File has seemingly run correctly on only one occasion. Inconclusive.
• File initiates but runs very slowly.For what its worth recent smaller test file creation was as follows;
1. Animation created in Adobe After Effects (MAC)
- File is exported from Adobe After Effects as a .mov file. (pre this was a flash file export but .mov file aided reductions in file size from 18MB to 5MB which we wanted to do to discount file size as being the problem)2. File Compression (MAC)
- File is compressed from 658mb to 4.1mb via Compression using Handbrake exported as a .mp4 file.3. Transfer of file to PC via USB (MAC to PC)4. Generation of Screen Saver (Program to be named at later stage) (PC)
- Screen saver is generated and .exe file is created.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
Since it seems that the .exe version of the screensaver is not quite working, have you tried with the .scr version?
If you haven't, I suggest you do, since the goal is to make the screensaver working.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If the problems are still there, you can send me both the .exe and .scr version of the screensaver so that I can test them on my computers.
I have several computers with different operating systems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Commercial in confidence.
This is the .exe package at the reduced size.
Have also attached a copy of the zipped .scr package with corresponding .xml
Let me know what you think.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
I will check it now.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
I have checked the screensaver.
The Archive.zip contains two files that seem to be only a part of the screensaver project. Combined size is 96 KB so I couldn't use those.
I used the .exe screensaver installer which basically only copies the .scr file (AEM_Screensaver_Install_V2.scr) into the C:\Windows\system32 folder so that Windows can recognize it as a screensaver since it loads screensavers from that folder.
As I mentioned, I have several computers and I have tested the screensaver under these Windows verions:
- Windows XP Professional 32-bit
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
I first ran it on a Windows XP computer by clicking on the Preview button. The screensaver stopped after 2:20 min, which means it cannot restart the screensaver animation in the Preview mode. I then let the computer run the screensaver by its own after 1 min of inactivity and it lasted for more than 30 minutes, so it was able to go through many loops.
When I installed it on a Windows Vista computer, I received an error about not having Flash Player installed. I actually did have Flash Player installed, but only for Mozilla Firefox. I needed to install Flash Player for Internet Explorer to be able to run the screensaver. However, the first time I just say the black screen. I then disabled the screensaver (set to None) and selected it again. When I selected it, the computer kind of froze for about 2 seconds. The screensaver was probably being loaded into memory. After 1 minute, the screensaver started and worked just fine for more than 20 minutes.
The problems started to occur when loading on a Windows 7 computer. The moment I installed it, my Avast anti-virus started to scan the file, and after several seconds, it said it was all fine.
When I clicked the Preview button, I received the "AEM_Screensaver_Install_V2" has stopped working message. I checked the log and it mentioned a flash player file. I then disabled the screensaver and selected it again, as I did for the Windows Vista computer, and it also kind of froze for 1 second and then it worked just fine afterward. It could repeat the animations.
No problems for Windows 8.1 computer - all went fine.
However, the screensaver didn't work quite well on a Windows 10 computer. It installed OK, but at first, it couldn't repeat the animation, so it just stopped after 2:20 min. When I restarted the computer and left it, I noticed the screensaver worked just fine after I returned. It could repeat the animations.
So, the results show that the screensaver mostly worked just fine. My Windows XP computer wasn't connected to the Internet, while others were. I don't think Internet connection changes anything.
The screensaver is quite graphic card and/or processor demanding. After it has started on all my computers, the fan turned on and never stopped while the screensaver was on. The fan turned on even on my new laptop with Intel i7 processor. It was like I was playing some high demanding game.
Anyway, based on what I've seen, the screensaver relies on Flash Player for Internet Explorer. It doesn't use Silverlight or any other plug-in. It is possible that the graphic card drivers are also play a key role, so you can update the graphic card drivers for the Office computers. You can also temporary disable anti-virus program and check the changes.
You can also update the Flash Player for Internet Explorer. You can download the full installer on this link:
https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
If you have another version of screensaver, you don't need to create an .exe installer, but just manually copy the .scr file into the C:\Windows\system32 folder and Windows will automatically detect it and will show it in the list of screensavers.
Also, my recommendation is to lower the graphic effects so that it doesn't turn on the fan immediately after being started. After all, it is just a screensaver. :)
Those are my comments. I hope you find them helpful.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Miro,
Thank you for your investigation and report. When you say 'lower the graphic effects' what exactly do you mean? I'm assuming its not as simple as memory size and that there is more to it?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
I was suggesting to somehow simplify the screensaver so it can be less graphically intensive. Maybe try with a static background and see how that will look like.
If you have a laptop, check if your fan starts to work at maximum once you start the screensaver. Fans are mostly quieter for desktop computers compared to laptops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our own IT got back to me as follows;
"I appreciate your efforts in helping me narrow down why the screensaver fails to loop, at AEMO I did the following:
1. Used .exe, installed screen saver app onto a production workstation, extracted the .scr file from the installed directory.
2. Renamed the file to AEMO_Sreensaver_2015.scr, placed it onto our netlogon share.
3. Updated our Test group policy GPO to copy the new screen saver file to c:\windows\, and set the personelisation setting to reference the path C:\Windows\AEMO_Sreensaver_2015.scr.
I followed these 3 steps just to set the screensaver to distribute to our test users. Following on from these I have found that it inconsistently loops and does not loop. From our current screensaver that is currently working in production, that one is installed in the C:\windows\ directory and not in c:\windows\system32.
I have copied the new screensaver to my personal desktop which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro x64 o Windows 10 and I set the same group policy settings and found that the screensaver did not loop.
You maybe right that the new screensaver needs Adobe Flash installed, our current workstation environment currently has the latest version of Flash and Shockwave deployed.
From the last email, I saw that you created the screensaver by producing it in Adobe Effects, from there you and produced a .mov file as the result. You then manipulated the .mov file further using a an Open Source product called Handbrake to convert it to .mp4. From that .mp4 file you used a screensaver app from Axialis to convert it again to a .SCR format. Windows 7 does not support natively support the .mp4 codec, even though you converted it to .scr the software just possibly wraps it up into a .scr extension with the .mp4 inside it. Our security guys did take a look at the SCR file using IT security forensic applications to break it open – there conclusion is “it looks like the .scr is opening the file up as Adobe Shockwave or Flash which then relies on .mp4 to play it back”.
Interesting enough, I installed the same .scr file that I deployed to a brand new out of the box Toshiba laptop with a factory provided Windows 7. The screensaver loops perfectly. I have not found an explanation to this, the Windows 7 that comes straight from Toshiba is laced with bloatware (Toshiba apps and freeware) and possibly includes enough codecs or .dlls for the screensaver to playback.
Troubleshooting this issue is requiring too much effort than is required for me to push out a simple screensaver, can I suggest that the screensaver be produced not using an Adobe product or a .mp4 format."What are your thoughts on this? I don't feel the issue is resolved surely Adobe would be concerned that such a view is being taken regarding their product? Do you feel there are other tests to be done having read this and beyond what you identified in last note?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this other detailed overview.
Now I think the the computers where the screensaver doesn't work properly (doesn't loop or black screen happens) are missing video codecs.
If the screensaver really relies on .mp4, then the computers will need to have video codecs installed to run it properly. In that case, you can install K-Lite Codec Pack that comes with both audio and video codecs. It is free and can be downloaded on this link:
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
You can download the basic edition and install that codec pack on the test computers and then check how the screensaver will work.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! A month has passed since we last communicated, so I would like to know if installing codec pack worked. Let me know,IT Miro
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

Let me know,