Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

My Asus laptop will turn on but screen is black and you can

Customer Question

My Asus laptop will turn on but screen is black and you can still see and move the cursor. If I keep pushing f8 while powering up then it will turn on. I shouldn't have to do this. Computer is only about 6 months old and not used much.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. You can use System Restore to set you laptop back to a point in time when it started up properly.
To start System Restore, from the desktop, hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R. When the Run box open type: rstrui.exe and click OK.
When System Restore opens click Next. Put a checkmark in the box labeled Show More Restore Points.
Select a restore date when you know the laptop started properly and click Next.
Click Finish
and let the restore proceed. When it has finished and the computer has restarted you should then be able to log in normally.
-
Please let me know if you need more clarification. I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't work and error or something came up that it couldn't do it or something. I don't have it with me but I can try again later when I get home and tell you what it said
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update. Knowing the exact error message you receive will go a long way in diagnosing the cause of the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not even get it off the black screen. I still see and am able to move the cursor
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell the model number of your Asus, what version of Windows your are running and whether or not your data has been backed up?