Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop expert
50836188

Trying to fix my laptop, toshiba 10", very slow, and "not responding"

Customer Question

trying to fix my laptop, toshiba 10", very slow, and "not responding" all the time, please advice
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Hi! What operating system do you have? XP, Vista, 7. or 8?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7 starter
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Note: Please press CTRL+D on yourkeyboard to save this page as a favorite/bookmark or return through your emaillinks if you setup your email address with Justanswer. The steps below willcause you to lose connection with our chat for a couple of minutes. Please click on Start then type in MSCONFIG. RIGHT click on MSCONFIG and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.Click on the Startup tab and disable allClick APPLY then OKYou will be prompted for a restart. Restart your computer. The reboot time and load should be quicker.Once you reboot your computer please do this:Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (Including our chat)click StartType the following command in the StartSearch box, and then press ENTER:inetcpl.cplThe Internet Options dialogbox appears.Click the Advanced tab.Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.Start Internet Explorer again.After that is complete please run a virus scan:, please download/run Malware Bytes. You can download it here ---> http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.htmlAfter it is downloaded/installed then run a FULL scan. Once it is completed,removed any viruses and restart your computer. (When prompted DO NOT start the trial, again DO NOT start the trial otherwise it will ask for you to pay at the end of the scan)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am writing from a different laptop so I can work on my slow toshiba at the same time
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Great! Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally made it to the restart step, waiting again
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Okay -- let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All went ok, except when opeing internet again, got the little light blue circle non stop again
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
No problem -- move onto running the Malware Bytes program on the computer. If you cannot open Internet Explorer, you may need to download the program on this computer and put the file onto the non-working computer to run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already downloading, any problems with free avg downloaded long time ago?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
AVG is an okay program to use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
installing malware now
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Josh, just came back, malware took over 2 hours, and found 45 objects, but stopped on the last step, now the screen went black and cannot start it, had to remove battery and I am trying again now
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how it goes
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Josh, this is Luis back, again, yes we need to continue, the lap top is very slow so I had to quit, but I am back now. I run both malware and avg also avg maintenance, which found some problems which were cleaned by this softwae, but still freezing and "not responding". What can I do next, I did all you asked me to, maybe a factory reset? , right now restarted the laptop and still waiting to shut down, over 10 minutes:(
Luis
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a factory reset would be the next step. I didn't want to suggest that option until last because it is a last resort type of option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we plese do it this afternoon, i have to go out now,
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Sure, you can perform that steps for a factory reset whenever you are ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Josh, ready to start would you please send me the stpes for factory reset?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
You can reinstall by opening Recovery (do a Windows search for it), selecting Advanced Recovery Options, and then selecting Reinstall Windows
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try and let you know, it may take some time since I need to go away for a few days, but please dont forget me when i contact you to finalize this job, ok?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
No worries -- let me know how it goes when you get a minute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find "recovery media center" and "recovery media creator help", whichone?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Recovery Media Center
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.