Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

My toshiba l75d-a7283 laptops pointer disappeared basically

Customer Question

My toshiba l75d-a7283 laptops pointer disappeared basically no mouse unable to do safe mode start without a mouse or pointer, I can open some programs and move through some screens using tab or arrows keys but cannot sign into toshiba service (cannot move the cursor to sign in screen) ( no cursor or pointer to move) tried function f10 no results, have tried signing on several times usually having to quit by holding power key until it shuts down
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When the mouse stops working, press FN + F5 which disables or enables the touch pad, check if it then works, if not, use just F5
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried both methods no results
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksWhen did this problem start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night I tried to sign on and it was not working, I think some automatic Microsoft updates where just installed, I figure that was the problem but I cannot get to a safe mode restart or reboot ( not sure which one is technically correct) anyway I was thinking to go to a restore point before the problem and see what happens but like I said I cannot get into system tools or much of anything mainly because I don' t know how to navigate without the mouse, I have started navigating some programs with the tab arrow keys, everything works pretty well until I cannot tab to a enter part of the page, because the software seems to open I feel like its a pad or mouse problem I cannot use the internet on the laptop mainly because I still have not figured how to move around the different screens w/o a mouse
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is a restore I want you to do please, but it is going to be easier this way. Turn off the laptop. Then hold the left shift and with it held down, turn on the laptop and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu (still with shift held down)Once at the menu, use TAB to move between options and enter or space bar to select.Choose Troubleshoot, then advance options, then system restore and perform a system restore from the last restore point.Once completed, tell me if the pointer now works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that did not work, when I turn off and back on the computer is locked needing a password ***** means I have to release the shift key to enter the password ***** entering the password ***** pushing enter I immediately tried the left shift key and f8 ( repeatedly ) the computer just did a routine boot which means no menu screen, still working on attempting to get to the menu( not much luck yet)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if it asks for the password, it went too far.Is there any way you can get an external mouse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will work on that, not sure if I put one in storage
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanksPlease let me know