Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I have an Acer laptop and after a very small drop it

Customer Question

Hello, I have an Acer laptop and after a very small drop it is now coming up with the default boot device missing or boot failed.
Insert recovery media and hit any key
Then select boot manager to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media.
I don't have any recovery media. I'm concerned I've lost everything, and ironically was sitting down to back up my work files.
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get into f2 setup, but have no idea what to change on the setup if that's if any help
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Based on the drop height table on page 20 of this document:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-001027.pdf
What type of impact would you estimate your laptop to have sustained?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it was around 30cm drop onto carpet- very little impact damage I'd ex elect. Nothing visible externally.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. The message you're receiving indicates a hardware issue as the laptop is not finding the hard drive. The drop may have loosened the connection and all you need to do is remove the hard drive and reseat it. What is the model# ***** the laptop. If your model comes with a CD/DVD drive then removing the the bottom panel to gain access to the hard drive will be relatively easy. If you have a new, thinner model which has no optical drive the hard drive will still be accessible but it will be a little more work to remove it.