Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

I have a Gateway E-295C I got it without HD or original Recovers

Customer Question

I have a Gateway E-295C I got it without HD or original Recovers CD, I installed a fresh Win XP SP3 and all drivers from the Gateway webpage.
Only the touch (Pen) is not working.
The sticker on the Laptop says Wacom pen tablet.
I installed the wacom driver from the wacom web page. It also installed a software.
The driver looks good in the system device settings but the pen display does not work.
I'm not sure that the wacom software matches my gateway LT.
Can you point me to the correct drivers and help with the installation?
thanks
Peter
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Perhaps the tablet is simply switched Off. Check byA. going into the BIOS Setup, and seeing if there is an entry there for use of the pen tablet - if so, enable it, of course. If not, Exit Without Saving from the BIOS Setup.B. holding down the Fn key and pressing the F9 key, or possibly the F7 key at the same time. This sort of Fn-key combination is supposed to toggle, or switch-On / switch-Off, some function, such as the trackpad on a conventional laptop, in some models. Perhaps it also has a function like that in a tablet.If the tablet you have does not have a keyboard and thus not Fn key, of course this last advice is N/A. Does the driver for the Wacom tablet, and for the touch-sensitive pen, look OK as displayed in its Device Manager entry? What you have may be a problem with Windows XP compatibility... were the drivers that you got from the Gateway website, Windows XP -compatible, or were they for Vista or 7 or a later version? if so, that would explain the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Touch screen is on in bios, FN/F7/F9 did nothing.
The driver in the system looks ok.

When I installed Win XP tablet edition it never ask me to put in the 2. CD.
I think that is the problem.
I also had to use an external driver during the installation to get the SATA HD to work.

System reports Windows XP tablet version, but all the tablet functions that are supposed to come with the tablet version are missing.
I used the OEM on the bottom of the computer.

Also the trackball on the display part and the 4 little switches to the left do not work,

And yes I have a Keyboard as mentioned earlier this is a Gateway E-295C.

I downloaded the Gateway drivers from here
http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads
I selected XP 32bit so I believe they are correct

The Wacom driver is not on the Gateway page I got it from here:
Windows - Driver 6.3.13-w3 (XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8)
http://us.wacom.com/en/support/drivers/

are these the correct drivers?
is it possible to get the original Installation CD's for the E-295C ?

What drivers and software are actually needed to run the Wacom pen ?

thanks
Peter

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The touch-sensitive pen may be the key component in this problem. The screen (touch-sensitive), and the pen, seem to be mentioned as two separate drivers / driver issues. So you may well need a separate driver for the pen, also! Try finding a Wacom pen driver for Windows XP, and installing it... see if that makes a difference. Without knowing the exact model # ***** the Wacom pad/touchscreen I cannot tell yet whether the driver for it is proper for it to work.(Can you get the touchscreen to respond by touching it with a finger, at present? in any way, for calibration by Windows or other means?) I confess it's a puzzle at this point, but I think it can be gotten through with some effort.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I try to start the wacom software i get a message no supported wacon pan display connected.
The display does not react to anything

How would i find the exact model of the touchscreen?
I could not fine a driver "Wacom pen driver for Windows XP"

what about the 2. Windows XP Tablet CD, is it needed?
what about a Gatway recovery disk?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well... if you will please get and read back to me, the exact and full text of the model # ***** the tablet, then I could tell you what options you have, and perhaps what the maker/model of the Wacom screen would be... aside from its being Wacom, of course.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, it's a TA-7, to name its slightly less ambiguous model #. In a 2007 review, it is said that the native OS of this tablet *is* Windows XP Tablet Edition. So, the maker's drivers should work. But: you don't have a disk of those drivers, do you... so, you had to get drivers from Gateway. Did you get all the drivers from the Gateway site, for this tablet PC? including 'chipset' and other odd and not very necessary sounding drivers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as mentioned earlyer, here is where I got the drivers:

http://us.wacom.com/en/support/drivers/

Tere was no wacom driver on the gateway page.

what abou the 2. windows XP CD does it need to be installes?
The manual says it will ask for it but it does not.
The Cd itself has no setup or autorun.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Question: is the OS currently on the tablet, Windows XP 32-bit ?

Or, is it Windows XP Tablet edition (32-bit or 64-bit) ?

Or something else?

Go to
Control Panel - System
and read off that information, there. "System Type", if it is Windows XP and if it does not mention "64-bit", would be 32-bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows XP Tablet edition 2005 32 bit SP3
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If the drivers were for Windows XP 32-bit, then whether Tablet Edition specifically or not, they should be compatible. Esp. if there was no choice of 'Tablet Edition'. Did you ever have an 'original OS' on the tablet? e.g. a Microsoft Windows hologram sticker ? if so, what was the original OS, at least as indicated by said Microsoft sticker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had some technical issues with the page and could not respond for a while.
As you can see in the pic's I send earlyer the Computer has a XP sticker for Windows XP Tablet edition.
I never had it working I got the computer with missing HD
Peter
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What with the time that has passed, and having run out of ideas, I'm sorry to say that I have nothing left to suggest, so I am Opting Out, opening this case to the suggestions or answers of other Experts.