Sandy
Sandy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been fixing computers since last 7 years
33602187

I am trying to restore a Toshiba laptop after replacing the

Customer Question

I am trying to restore a Toshiba laptop after replacing the hard drive and keep getting an error message when running the recovery disk.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Sandy and I look forward to help you today with the best answer possible.
I'm sorry about the issue.
I regret to inform you that Operating system disc is required instead of recovery disc to reinstall Operating System on the new hard drive to get it working for the first time.
However, later, you can use recovery disc if there is any issue with operating system.
Please find operating system disc or order one by calling Toshiba.
Also, you can use any other disc with same operating system but while installing it, just use 25 digit product key mentioned on your computer.
I will work with you until you are satisfied with my answer. Please click "Reply to Expert" if you have other queries.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just so I'm clear, you're saying I need to install Windows 7 before the recovery disks will work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or is the OS something different entirely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't make any sense. The recovery disks are supposed to restore the hard drive to the original state, which includes the operating system.
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for the delay.
When a user gets a new computer, operating system is generally, installed on it already. And when there is any fault with operating system, then user uses Recovery Disc to restore the computer to factory settings.
However, in your case, you have replaced hard drive.
Recovery disc are like repair disc and these cannot be used to reinstall operating system from scratch.
Only Operating System disc can used used to reinstall operating system on the new hard drive to use it for the first time.
For details, you can please check explanation under the link given below:
(Copy and paste the link into address box)
http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_difference_between_a_recovery_disk_and_an_installation_disk.html
Keep me posted.
Thank you.
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.
Please check and tell me if you have any Windows 7 operating system disc with you.
If yes, then, please use that to reinstall operating system.
Keep me posted.
Thank you.